EV Deltamax in comparison to the SSE Betamax

tolley1466

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had used both the EV Deltamax and the SSE Betamax and could tell me if there's a huge difference between the cabs?

I've read the Betamax was developed from the Delatmax

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had used both the EV Deltamax and the SSE Betamax and could tell me if there's a huge difference between the cabs?

I've read the Betamax was developed from the Delatmax

Thanks,

Ryan

I use the EV Deltamax system,its been around a few years I use it for big dj systems and corporate events,its a great system very efficient and good clarity,compared to new high end systems on the market,but you must use there controllers to get the most out of them,never used SSE,they sound like a copy to me.

Well the Betamax and Deltamax should sound the same. It's the same drivers in more or less the same box. All depends on how you drive it though. I've heard Betamax sound good and I've heard them sound horrific. It's a big old compression driver, can take your face off!

The idea of the Betamax was to make the Deltamax more tour friendly. Drivers are easier to remove and stuff like that. They're bloody heavy.

Are you using Deltamax 12" & Horns with their double 18"? The reason I ask is I've got a chance to get four top boxes and a couple - I think - double 18" with amps and processors. Seems like I remembered they sounded great...

www.livesoundaudio.com

The spec says 15" and horn. However, there might be something else around!

You are more than likely looking at the dl1152 which has a dh1a horn 3" face ripper and a 15" cant remember the model right now(never had to replace one). These boxes are fantastic but you will need to do a bit of work when you get them first as they can be very hot in some areas because of the massive horn. I use these boxes a lot and love them to bits. The Betamax as far as I remember is just a remake of the delta with a slightly different box(smaller if I remember) never heard them but if their mb4 wedges ae anything to go by they won't be bad.

As far as im aware sse used deltamax as wedges once out of necessity then made changes as needed to make betamax.

Iv worked in a venue with beta max main monitor rig, also used as fills when needed, delta max main hangs in 2nd room (ev subs), with beta max fills, and beta max main hangs in 2 separate bars.

Small room gigs have often used the beta max wedges along side the delta max pa.

So I feel myself fairly well qualified to answer this,

Theres differences in the flying hardware (and yes as mentioned earlier betamax are comically heavy for a wedge).

BetaMax have a top hat top and bottom (similar to a box on stick pa) designed to have a small pole (think steel deck leg but only 5-6") to wedge them up, delta max need a bit of wood or a brick.

Both boxes can be made to sound very good by engineers familiar to the box, and both iv heard made sound awful (by engineers who walk in, slag them off before they start and didnt consider they could sound good). but what system cant you say that for?

I have when needed, pulled deltamax from the 2nd room pa to be main room monitors, id prefer not to mix them in pairs (Largley on knowing which drivers were replaced in batches) but certainly wouldnt object to mixing a vocalist on 2 betamax with a deltamax listen wedge.

Why are you asking the difference?

If its a gig we're you've asked for one, are being offered the other, providing the poles/bricks are provided then dont worry about it, its close enough.

If its a case of a mixed rig, then given certain numbers of each I recon your probably still ok, as said earlier I dont mix pairs if I can avoid it, but drummer on beta + sub, guitar on pair of beta, vox on delta, keys on delta isnt going to give you massive problems - you'll almost certainly get away with the same EQ on the mixes (providing its not an overly challenging band)

Archived