Punchy Live Sound

pete.elmwood

Hi there,

I drum and engineer for a covers band playing local pubs and also bigger wedding reception venues. We currently run the following setup:

2 vocal 1 guitar (DI) 1 bass (di) 1 kick drum mic

Yamaha MG series 16 channel desk

Peavey PV2600 running stereo

2 x JBL JRX 125

Trantec wireless in ear packs

I have a set of peavey bass bins in storage I'm gonna hoke out this week because I've been asked to do sound at a rock gig at a 200 capacity venue.

I want to run the setup as follows:

Channel A - 2 x jbl jrx 125 low pass and x-over on

Channel B - 2 x peavey bass bins

My question is what ohm rating do the peavey bass bins have to be and is this the best way to set the amp up to get the best sound? When it comes to speaker resistance and power amp resistance I'm lost! HELP!

CHeers

Pete

Hi, you want the low pass on the the subs not the tops, the tops need a high pass (it's not vital but helps).

If the subs are 4ohms each then you'll get the most out of the amp but you'll work the amp quite hard at the same time. If they're 8ohms you'll be giving the amp an easier life but won't get it's maximum power. Either way you won't go far wrong to just trying it. You'll need some way to sum your signal either by using a mono out on the desk or a separate summing device (not sure if the amp has this facility built in).

Very true indeed, something I'd not thought of. However if this IS the case, it actually makes wiring the system alot easier as you can just link into the sub and out to the top on each side, whilst keeping the stereo aspect to the system.

Thanks for the replies, you guys are fast!

Going to pick up the bass bins tonight so I'll have model numbers ohm ratings etc later although I fear they do have a crossover built in which may mess with my plans!

The setup on the amp is weird, I have to activate the crossover on channel A which in turn routes the low frequencies to the Low THRU OUT, via a 1/4" jack to Channel B's Input so the subs on Channel B only get low end.

As for summing the signal I'm not sure what that is, the setup will be mono so 1 XLR from desk to amp channel A's input and the amp takes car of the rest I think but feel free to correct me as I'm learning as I go along!

Pete

OK some developments...

I've dug out the bins and they're 4 ohms but both only have 1 speakon connection so obviously no crossover!

How on earth can I use these and the mid/tops with only 1 amp?!

Can the bins be rewired in parallel so they can be linked together using 1 amp channel for both bins??

Saturday is so close!

Pete

Well you have a few options

1) Borrow another amp a run one speaker per channel

2) Run only one sub off channel A and both tops off channel B

3) Make up a Y split cable so you can run both subs off channel A

Option 1 is of course the best but might not be possible. Option 2 does make a lot of sense and a lot of my shows I only take 1 sub out depending on the size of the venue and volume expected. It also keeps the amp within its load rating. Option 3 is fine but you have to remember that you are now pushing the amp quite hard with a 2 ohm load on the one channel and a 4 ohm on the other. Cooling might start to become a problem.

Personally if it was me and option 1 was out the window for some reason I would go with option 2

EDIT: If you added a location maybe someone on here would be able to help with option 1

Great advice thanks!

Heading out to check the venue now, if it's small enough I'll go for 1 sub to avoid working the amp too hard.

However, I have some speaker cab spares and if I have time I'm thinking of wiring a speakon link port in 1 of the bins which will put the second bin in series resulting in an 8 ohm load across 1 channel, similar to the Y cable option but without the 2 ohm parallel load!

Thanks again for all the help thus far!

The only hitch with your series plan is that you are then only giving each speaker 275w of power (550w & 8ohm split over two speakers) as opposed to giving one speaker 900w (4 ohm load)

If it was me then I would go with only running one sub as my first choice and running the two subs at a 2ohm load and watching the amp very closely as my second

Archived