Headset/Headworn vocal mic

cho_drummer

Hi,

The singer in my band wants a headworn vocal mic. Wireless is not essential, but would be beneficial.

She plays keys and sings and she feels the emotion of the song can get lost in the fact that she's restricted by the position of her mic.

Currently she uses a Shure Beta 58a and she quite likes the sound she gets live. I've not really looked into this area before, but I'd assume we'd rather have something with a super/hypercarioid pattern as the band can get reasonably loud.

Any ideas as to what we should try.

Cheers, Chris.

It's still possible to get head worn dynamics so if she wants that kind of sound, it's possible - but they are ugly beasts, but worse is that any mic technique they've developed to assist 'their sound' gets lost. Plenty of people sing without hand-helds, but they always sound a bit odd of they are a great singer - but the convenience is probably what they're after - and maybe their voice gets processed anyway?

The Shure SM-10A sounds quite nice.

Although I'm not a particular fan of the B58, I don't think you'll find a headset that both sounds natural and can be used on a noisy stage. The Crown CM311 (the "Garth Brooks mic") is the king of headsets for use in such situations. It's good, but I'd hate to have a lead singer on it.

I figure if Tory Amos, Sarah McLachlan, and Alicia Keys can make a "regular" mic work.... (In fact I think McLachlan has the best mic technique ever - she's glued to it.)

I'll have a look at those mics. I'm trying to diswade her. She has a huge range both in pitch and volume so as you say the mic technique would be lost. I'm not sure a Dynamic would be best for her, she quite suits a C414 and a rode K2 even though they're both quite different mics. I'm yet to find the perfect studio mic for her but the stage is a totally different environment of course. I think we'd go for sound quality over convenience everytime, so unless we can get something with a good sound and good rejection I might have to do a little more convincing.

Archived