How best to use a frost

vinntec

I will be using Hampshire Frost L254 on some profiles in a show coming up. I notice that one side is smooth and the other rough - is there a correct way around when fitted in front of the lantern? Secondly, should the coloured gel be in front of the frost, or behind? Just want to get it right. Thanks - Peter Vincent

It doesn't matter either way - frost in front, colour in front, rough side out, rough side in - it's all the same. The only one you have to look out for is silk; with silk the stripes go perpendicular to the direction you want the light to spread in.

I always have it in front, purely for the fact, if I'm calling a focus, I will have it focused it hard to the shutter and ask for the frost to be dropped in when done.

People have different methods but it works for me!

Jay

Re the use of colour and frost together - for our blues we have some birdies that we use with Congo Blue and Lee 129 - a very heavy frost. We notice that with the frost in the gel frame there is a lot of spill backwards from the gel frame - so putting the gel on the lamp side means the spill is blue, whereas putting the gel in front of the frost means the spill is open white - with strong colours this makes quite a difference.

A small difference (no doubt not as noticable with a lighter frost or in a profile) but since the question was asked it's worth mentioning.

Archived