Stages/venues/theatres in Wyg and Light Converse.

lampyfromliverpool

So I found this topic after a bit of a search: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=33272

I know it's an old thread, but it feels like the larger question remains: Is it the done thing for lamp folk to swap and share created venues for Wyg, Light Converse, (or even our own Avo Visualiser)? I'm currently learning Light Converse by way of creating Camden's KOKO in half hour windows snatched here and there. Progress is slow and steady. Once done with this I'm moving onto Wyg and after that I might try Vectorworks. Once I'm done creating the Light Converse file I'm going to ask KOKO if they want the files and if they're cool with me passing it out those that might need it.

Anyone got any other cool venues they want to show off/share?

Unless you're bidding for a job, creating a whole venue in any CAD suite is a bit of a waste of time. If all you want to do is pre-program the lights it's pointless spending hours (or even days) making sure that every last detail is perfect. In fact if this is what you're trying to do then there are much better packages around that will make the job far easier and quicker.

If, on the other hand you are trying to create a perfect 3D environment to show a client exactly what their venue is going to look like (rather than just what is happening on stage) then the chances are that you make a living form doing this and therefore sharing your work with the competition isn't really a good idea as it could cost you work.

The other thing to bear in mind is that all of the extra objects are going to eat up file space and processing power once you start switching on lights in your virtual world. This increases the chances of making WYG unstable and could cause you more headaches than its worth all for the sake of having every chair accurately modeled with the correct surface texture.

I've used WYG to show clients what their venue will look like when it's finished and it's great for showing people who don't understand of have limited experience of the construction process. My employers paid me a lot of money to create those environments and they wouldn't be too happy about me giving them away to the potential competition. However, once a contract has been won, the installation completed and the invoice paid I see no reason why the client shouldn't be given a copy of what could be a very useful file (especially if you've also sold them a copy of WYSIWYG as part of the installation).

I used to worry about getting venue measurements and creating "actual size" CAD files for venues but these days I just build the stage set, add in the lights at the ideal trim height and plot away. Then when I get to the venue and things aren't quite right I only have to edit a few cues rather than starting fresh. If a venue has an existing WYG file then that's great but I'm only really interested in the stage and auditorium sizes rather than the colours or textures of the walls (if the audience are looking at the walls something is VERY wrong with what is happening on stage).

Building one or two venues accurately is a great way of thoroughly learning a CAD program and it's good to be able to do it but in my experience you can create a perfectly serviceable environment within 5 or 10 minutes and your time is better spent concentrating on the set and lights. That said, if you need any help with WYG feel free to give me a shout.

If, on the other hand you are trying to create a perfect 3D environment to show a client exactly what their venue is going to look like (rather than just what is happening on stage) then the chances are that you make a living form doing this and therefore sharing your work with the competition isn't really a good idea as it could cost you work.

This answers the main question in that I understand now why there aren't forum threads teeming with people putting up created venues.

I used to worry about getting venue measurements and creating "actual size" CAD files for venues but these days I just build the stage set, add in the lights at the ideal trim height and plot away. Then when I get to the venue and things aren't quite right I only have to edit a few cues rather than starting fresh. If a venue has an existing WYG file then that's great but I'm only really interested in the stage and auditorium sizes rather than the colours or textures of the walls (if the audience are looking at the walls something is VERY wrong with what is happening on stage).

Exactly! I'm not going to start stressing about how many seats there are/what they're textured with or anything, mainly the rig and room sizes. I understand I'm still going to have to tweak all my positions and fully sort out my Beam palettes if I go into somewhere having started programming with visualisation software. Also, I'm not trying to make a millimetre-perfect KOKO - function over form.

Building one or two venues accurately is a great way of thoroughly learning a CAD program and it's good to be able to do it but in my experience you can create a perfectly serviceable environment within 5 or 10 minutes and your time is better spent concentrating on the set and lights. That said, if you need any help with WYG feel free to give me a shout.

My main driving motivation is as you said to learn all aspects of the software. For KOKO that means getting the rough size, shape and position of the two tiers of balconies in place. If I can create something nice and use-able for me to try out the odd look then I'll be happy. Plus we get a load of LDs coming in to practise for specific shows - it'd be nice to have most of the big venues for them to program in.

I'll certainly bump this thread if I get stuck in Wyg... Cheers for all the help!

Archived