Neutrik HDMI

Solstace

We're fed up with HDMI cable ends breaking off where the plug protrudes from the moulded plastic plug. So I'm looking for something along the lines of EtherCon but with an HDMI plug/socket inside...

We've found the chassis socket, but can't find anywhere a matching plug - and really it's the plug we're after! Neutrik do offer one but I see no real info on how it terminates, nor can I find it in shops anywhere... NKHDMI is the series.

Any clue on where we can find and how we might buy such a thing?

C :D

Thanks Dan for the info - looks like my boss and I missed some vital details when we hit the Neutrik site at the end of the day! All becomes strangely clear in the cold light of day though :D

Arg - so the premade lengths are not really workable for our situation. Prices would be interesting anyway Dan if you can get them for the standard lengths - they might be useful for patching.

Guess we're moving our most "exposed" cabling over to DVI despite the additional size - at least these can be screwed together and tend not to break off with the slightest provocation.

Well that and the fact that our system design called for one-piece fibre cabling to be run throughout the building. DVI connectors are be too big to run through our ducting and existing cable routes etc, and the size of new holes could be kept to a sensible minimum. Silly thing is that for most of our displays we're converting that HDMI back to DVI using simple plug-in adaptors!

Also I seem to recall at the time that HDMI fibre cables were less expensive than their (electrically identical) one-piece DVI counterparts - but I could be wrong on that. Certainly our solution was a lot cheaper than using two or more ways of fibre or even CAT5/6 per run with discrete boxes on each end, each box requiring its own power feed. Compare this with the one-piece solutions, where signal and (optional) supplemental power go in at one end, run down the cable, and a fully formed signal comes out the other with no need for separate power. Just a short HDMI link cable to plug into the display.

When it came to terminating the signal entry points for the system, it just kinda made sense that HDMI was the natural socket to put on the walls - wall-plates were very easy to find (compared with DVI plates anyway!) and HDMI had been destined to appear as the standard display output on more and more devices that would be used with our systems. HDMI cables capable of reliably carrying 1080p over distances of 10m or more seem to be easier to come by than DVI equivalents even at 10x the cost per meter. The problem we have is that such HDMI cables tend to be stupid-thick, as do their users who will insist on yanking them out of the wall sockets during hurried and badly planned teardowns, ripping the HDMI connectors clean out of the end of the plugs. Re-terminating an HDMI plug isn't the easiest thing in the world and you might say that replacing them has become a rather expensive hobby.

So we're either looking at converting our wall-sockets to DVI, or going to the Neutrik-type solution to help protect our kit.

Interesting way of doing it, makes sense I suppose. I gather from what your saying your using HDMI purley for HD LCD or plasma displays? If I was doing it I probably would have done it with cat5 but I have KVM extenders at my dispense. this was you can just use RJ45 D- mounts which at least lock properley. however you cant get a D- mount RJ45 in the KVM's. Ive been sceptical about the use of HDMI in theatre based on the fact that it doesnt lock securley into mountings and also its encryted.

Thanks for your reply. all this stuff is relativley new to me! There is still a lot for me to learn so I'm really interested to hear all the soloutions to problems like these! Thanks again for your time :g:

The biggest issue with HDMI / DVI is the HDCP stuff - its easy to reach the maximum number of displays you have certificates for and the workarounds with stripping the copy protection are in danger of stopping working at some point in the future when the stripping device certificate gets blacklisted.

Unfortunately the options for professional digital signal distro are limited and very expensive. Converting everything to HDSDI and then back to HDMI for input into cheap LCD screens is not affordable.

Archived