White Sand

James C

I need to source whiter-than-white "sand" for show. Marble dust has been suggested, but I gather that the stuff is fine enough to be unkind to your lungs if you don't wear a mask. So, as our budget doesn't stretch to me flying to the Maldives with a bucket & spade (we could barely stretch to the bucket & spade alone), any wise ideas for an inert brilliant-white powder that'll look like handfuls of (white) sand when it runs through the actor's fingers?

any wise ideas for an inert brilliant-white powder that'll look like handfuls of (white) sand when it runs through the actor's fingers?

Washing powder- as long as the actors hands are dry and you're not doing any UV effects.

Not sure it's a good idea - getting it (neat) on your hands every night. Also, quite a sweaty show, so likely to be a little damp of palm.

how about the sand used in japanese gardens - someone gave me a mini one (4" square in a cardboard box - it wasn't pure white, but it was less sand coloured than blackpool beach) - but there must be garden centres who could supply enough for the full sized version. (hopefully in the UK, otherwise saving up for the trip to Japan starts now.....or the Maldives)

Find a newbie on your crew and give them a bucket of sand and some white paint and get them to individually paint each grain :)

Nice idea :)

Looks like coarse marble filler might be the answer, not fine enough to be a problem. Just need to check the coshh ins and outs. Otherwise caster sugar will probably be the one. Thanks for your help, folks.

Washing powder-
what about flour?
Caster sugar?

you're all completely barking mad!

how much sand do you need James ? ... I've used building firms/agregate suppliers many times - they often give away sand/stones in large quantities as they have plenty of it kicking about.

Also, they are more likely to be able to recommend where to get white sand from if they can't supply it themselves.

Sadly my contacts are all north of the border - but as I said - most building firm suppliers or agregate suppliers should be able to help for example, Jewsons have been much help to me in the past.

HTH

mike

Archived