Stage manger In Glasgow

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix
Has anyone read one of the current stories in the stage bout the stage manager in glasgow - read it.

No, must have missed that one. Gotta link or care to quote it ?

:P In regards to the stage manager in glasgow, there was a comedian playing there jonny vaughn or something/someone like that - I think! Basically though I struggle to remembr exact details I dont think that there was direct access from the stage to the auditorium. The comedian asked to borrow a ladder to put across the pit void, and basically climbed over it. How deep it was I dont. I think it was either the hse or the main theatre management got wind of this and now he is on the verge of being sacked. Hes got a tribunal soon and his agruement is that they do it all the time and they class it as 'safe' Well someone thought not. If he fell who knows. Moral of that story - you may think its safe but should someone else think not especially knowing its not - your p45 and your career in this industy may be over. Dont take risks. If it aint safe then say no. We may be technicians and expected to fly without cables but we are only human and or families need bread too. The risk assessment should actually be is it safe...... you`ve already answered that. In the long term no. In that case in the short term its not safe either. Dont put yourself in the same position. The hoist idea is a very good one. May cost £2000 or summming to have a carry frame and a track built, but hey better than your job and severe consequences for the theatre. :angry: Ill shut up now :** laughs out loud **:

Has anyone read one of the current stories in the stage bout the stage manager in glasgow - read it.

No, must have missed that one. Gotta link or care to quote it ?

Basically a show with either Peter Kay or Johnny Vegas managed to get hold of a ladder from the SM, and put it across the empty orchestra pit before climbing out to the middle and staying there. And now someone wants to fire the SM and I thinks BECTU or Equity has got involved about it all to help the SM with his case (i.e. asked in the middle of the show infront of all the audience, had been done before. Etc)

Sorry it's a bit vague, but thats all I can remember of the top of my head!

Stu

:P In regards to the stage manager in glasgow, there was a comedian playing there jonny vaughn or something/someone like that - I think! Basically though I struggle to remembr exact details I dont think that there was direct access from the stage to the auditorium. The comedian asked to borrow a ladder to put across the pit void, and basically climbed over it. How deep it was I dont. I think it was either the hse or the main theatre management got wind of this and now he is on the verge of being sacked. Hes got a tribunal soon and his agruement is that they do it all the time and they class it as 'safe' Well someone thought not. If he fell who knows. Moral of that story - you may think its safe but should someone else think not especially knowing its not - your p45 and your career in this industy may be over. Dont take risks. If it aint safe then say no. We may be technicians and expected to fly without cables but we are only human and or families need bread too. The risk assessment should actually be is it safe...... you`ve already answered that. In the long term no. In that case in the short term its not safe either. Dont put yourself in the same position. The hoist idea is a very good one. May cost £2000 or summming to have a carry frame and a track built, but hey better than your job and severe consequences for the theatre.  :** laughs out loud **:  Ill shut up now :** laughs out loud **:

Woops didn't see your post matey! Apologies for repeating the same thing twice.

Altho we are still not clear on the comic involved :angry:

Stu

Guest lightnix
It was Johnny Vegas

Strong ladder then :** laughs out loud **:

Don't think I should comment on the rest.

Good idea. A definite case of "Watch This Space" though, I'd say.

Bloody comedians...

I let Gerry Sadowitz do his own front of house announcements once, many years ago.

He didn't pressure me though. I think he was quite surprised that I came up with the idea.

And you know what - I'd do it again! :** laughs out loud **:

alan.

Problem is though equity and bectu can get involved but if it is the HSE that are getting involved then allowing someone to blantely disregard all health and safety protoculs I.e if you fee are more than6" from a solid surface etc then you should wear a harnss etc or the fact he could have falled etc etc blah blah!!! then its ot suprising they are trying to fire him. The fact there were public there is even worse. He wasnt trained todo that task. In theory the sm has a duty to uphold the h&s code so by not doing so hs his own worst enemy! Though how many of us hang onto the side of a scope with one hand and focus a lamp with the other!! Buthey that aint the subject.! I feel sorry for him but......... he should have known better. poor bugger.

Archived