L.E.D. projectors

shaggy555

Hi,

In my school we are looking at replacing some of our ageing NEC VT460s....

I have recently been to a product demo for Casio's new L.E.D. projector (xj-a240) and am considering them as a viable alternative...

Has anyone else seen these units and have any comments or opinions on them....

Many Thanks in Advance... :)

We've supplied a few of these to various clients ranging from schools to churches, all of whom have given us great feedback on the image quality, with these they seem to win hands down when you do the lamplife comparison!

We've supplied a few of these to various clients ranging from schools to churches, all of whom have given us great feedback on the image quality, with these they seem to win hands down when you do the lamplife comparison!

Yes the lamplife is one of the major considerations!!!

What do you think to the brightness? :)

The model you are looking at is 2500 Lumens, plenty bright enough, what's more that shouldn't really drop off much during the life of the lamp. These look very good, but the fan noise seems high, I'm guessing because of the laser source? Which might be a consideration in theatre use. This source would be perfect for mounting in a moving light though, and at that brightness no problem!

The model you are looking at is 2500 Lumens, plenty bright enough, what's more that shouldn't really drop off much during the life of the lamp. These look very good, but the fan noise seems high, I'm guessing because of the laser source? Which might be a consideration in theatre use. This source would be perfect for mounting in a moving light though, and at that brightness no problem!

You have to remember that this Casio is the only type of mixed LED and laser projector available. Other manufacturers have only just seen this and are trying to find a way to copy them. It is not purely LED projector like the LG (which is only suitable for small presentations).

I went to an event with Casio last week, went a bit unsure of them, am now convinced. Ok they are only single chip DLP but they are very impressive for the price. Casio are offering a 5 year warranty to educational users which covers everything including the "light source". They haven't yet sorted out security cages etc, but they are working on them. They claim you don't need to clean the filter as well?!

The pricing is very attractive especially if you don't bother with the wifi element. They claim they will last 15 years with sensible use and will not lose much brightness. If you look at the marketing, they will have you believe that the measured 2500ANSI lumens will stay for most of the life of the unit, and I believe them to an extent. The only problem is they have only had the unit under continuous test at Casio for 6 months, with no problems.

I work at a University and are thinking about going with them mainly due to the lamp and filter life. They are very cost affective with the free 5 year warranty and the fact that the rated ANSI lumens will roughly be the actual ANSI lumens you have in 3-5years time.

Casio have told us they are working on a brighter model as well...

Sounds a good product, any idea how it would do in a club (smoke, sweat, heat etc)? We currently use Panasonic PT-D4000 because it has a sealed optical unit and is watercooled... they seemed to have lasted very well so far!

Sounds a good product, any idea how it would do in a club (smoke, sweat, heat etc)? We currently use Panasonic PT-D4000 because it has a sealed optical unit and is watercooled... they seemed to have lasted very well so far!

A nice little unit... but I am intrigued by alternative light source porjectors.... does this mean no more sitting in a darkened space with the soporific blast of hot air to send you to sleep..?

Ive been running one in my office for a while now, my observations are this.

Its a genuine 2500 lumens and the image similar to other dlps, contrast a bit low with the blacks a bit grey.

however on full power its a bit noisey with the fan running hard and a bit of noise that sounds like a crackle from the light source, its not excessive, bit id be tempted to suggest that for theatre use its too loud, for club / concerts its obviously fine.

the lens has a decent ratio 1.4 ~2.8:1 {I think} so its pretty adaptable. Im considering putting it into our hire stock as the basic powerpoint portable unit as its solid and looks fairly robust as well as being very slim.

however, the lightsource has a 20k warranty so effectively thats a lifetime warranty and you cant argue with that especially as this is not an expensive unit...

cheers Alastair

Pretty much everything I have done (not a lot) has been using the pani PT-D5500. We've got two and they are fantastic projectors! would recomend them to any one and would presume that the other PT-D ranges are of a good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a demo of one of these this week as well (XJ-A130).

We put it side by side with one of our standard loan stock LCD projectors for comparison.

Agree with earlier comments about the noise - when not in Eco Mode it was very noisy, but the drop in brightness didn't appear huge. The noise is also partly fan noise, and partly a click/buzz from the works, and seemed like it could be quite irritating.

We liked the instant on/off, and the huge zoom range available.

Some of the darker colours seemed uneven - the blue seemed more intense at the base of the picture.

I've now been told that Casio are not producing the 3000 lumens model - anyone got more info on this?

Philip

Archived