Fashion show

mkfs9

Hi I have been asked to provide music Mike ect for a fund raising fashion show. I have up to 6 pole mount speakers to use dont think I need my 2x18 subs its not that sort of thing. Any tips on placement of cabs.Set up like a normal disco or either side of the catwalk.

main priority would probably not blocking sight lines. so I wouldnt go for next to cat walk.

I'd consider spreading them down the outside walls pararell to the catwalk for more even coverage of the room

main priority would probably not blocking sight lines. so I wouldnt go for next to cat walk.

I'd consider spreading them down the outside walls pararell to the catwalk for more even coverage of the room

Don't forget though that without delay on the staggered boxes, the 'train station announcer' syndrome would be present.

A good bit of info here. See, Delays in sound reinforcement.

Don't forget though that without delay on the staggered boxes, the 'train station announcer' syndrome would be present.

A good bit of info here. See, Delays in sound reinforcement.

well yes, if its the further box is far enough to be heard with it. but on the other hand in a room that needs 6 boxes 6 at the front will be far from even front to back.

If the OP is providing the gear for someone elses show you'd hope he knows the basics like that anyway...

John - with respect - that's complete tosh!

Do the maths and you'll see the actual length the models would have to walk down before delay becomes a problem would be far too long for a fashion show! They'd fall off their shoes or expire before walking that far - and back!

Our hall has some speaker brackets down the side walls which allow us to mount speakers for such events. It works well. We don't use delays. We didn't do the maths we just tried it and it worked. If we get too loud people start to notice the speaker behind them but, as you say, it's not that kind of event. I also put a couple of monitors facing the place where the models come on to help them hear announcements and get into the music before they walk on (our models are amateurs and need all the help they can get). You might also want to consider a relay into the dressing rooms? I don't know what professionals do but this worked for our fund raisers.

hey I have a lot of experience with catwalks couple of things:

A. I always use subs,

B. I never use delay (unless its a huge venue and one of my venues was an NEC hall which I had no delay on)

c. how is this being lit? ( we regularly hang off the lighting rig)

d. how long is the catwalk?

d. what speakers do you own?

sam

I second what Soundie Sam says - definitely take your subs if the budget allows. You have to create atmosphere at a fashion show, and with a good solid bottom end, you'll get the impression of power and depth without it necessarily being that loud. Speakers distributed down the sides of the room is a good starting point as Wilflet says.

(Sound should be easy - it's lighting a fashion show, especially when on a tight budget, that's a real challenge!)

Archived