Projecting onto water

missjmp

I am designing a piece for the aesthetic event in my module at university. What I would really like to do is project images and film on water. Ideally I would like to have a waterfall / screen of water. However, if I cant work how to do this cheaply, we have a spray system with 3 nozzles already at uni which I can use, but my tutor wants me to find out the best way to use it for my needs as he's not clued up with it. I have no clue where to start and I cant test anything out until late April, but our proposal is in early April.

I have a corridor of space with the dimensions 1.5w x 13d x 2.5h (in meters) which I can black out and put a waterproof floor into. Projection would have to be back projection.

Either, a) how do I go about projecting onto the thin mist the spray system produces, or b) , how would I go about creating this on a small budget (hard work's not the issue, just £100 ish each)

Hope you can help me out.

Basically, you point the projector at the water and switch it on. I have front and rear projected onto water screens and it was much easier than I expected. The front projection was onto quite a big screen (about 6m wide) made with a basic rainbar. The rear projection screen was smaller (about 3m wide) and this used irrigation spray nozzles. Because the latter had a higher density of water it was a much better image

Controlling the ambient light is (as always) important, and do test the system as early as possible. As long as you are not expecting an image as clear as that on a normal screen I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how easy it is.

With some huge great caveats here to remind you to ensure that it's not physically possible to touch any piece of electrical equipment whilst also in contact with the mist/pooling water and that EVERYTHING in the vacinity is RCD'd. To ensure you have full control over (or have taken appropriate precautions against) any ventilation / fans / wind as this will have an adverse impact on the mist screen (and also give rise to further electrical safety considerations) as well as ensuring that you location is appropriately waterproofed and has drainage because water pools up quickly and you'd be amazed just how much damage even a little bit of water can do to a surface that wasn't treated for it.

Archived