Triggering Video via Artnet

spartacus

Hello everyone,

I am planning a show for a couple of months time and would like to know if their is a way I can play media content via artnet? (We can get this courtesy of entech ;)) We want to be able to sink it with lighting so I thought that would be a good way of doing it. I would much prefer something which is free.

If you need any more information, please ask. Thankyou,

Most media servers will do this although they arenh't cheap. I'm pretty sure Arkaos VJ DMX will do it. But you're better off looking at dedicated hardware such as a Hippotizer, Catalyst or M box.

Personally I've gat a HippoCritter from Green hippo, a nice 1U rackmount unit that controls 4 layers of video and does more than I usually need it to do. It also has the advantage of being part of a range of systems that all work together so if I ever need to move up it's just a case of buying or renting the required equipment rather than learning a whole new interface.

Hello everyone,

I am planning a show for a couple of months time and would like to know if their is a way I can play media content via artnet? (We can get this courtesy of entech ;)) We want to be able to sink it with lighting so I thought that would be a good way of doing it. I would much prefer something which is free.

If you need any more information, please ask. Thankyou,

When I've done artnet > basic media stuff in the past, I've used resolume. Was good enough for what I needed it for, and just controlled it over artnet using MagicQ. Was quite good apart from the version I used a few years ago spewed oddness onto the artnet network as well but I guess that its probably fixed by now! Can't remember how much it costs though as I was using someone elses laptop who had a licence for it.

Of course there are other programming platforms where I'm sure you could stick an artnet module together with a winamp/VLC module and thats all you'd really need. Maybe one of these days I'll try and make an artnet > VLC module!

Also, I think you mean "sync", which short for synchronise, not "sink" as in where you do washing up!

What sort of control do you need of the media? Is it just a play / pause thing, or do you need more advanced control of effects?

I believe Resolume will respond to Artnet.

The latest incarnation (the Avenue 3.x series) cannot handle DMX in any form (yet)

This seems like an unfortunate retrograde step. Jon, you guys were definitely controlling Resolume via Artnet last year. Have they dumped the Artnet implementation in favour of OSC? I guess it won't be too hard to write an Artnet to OSC convertor in Processing, MAX/MSP, vvvv, QC or similar.

Hi Spartacus

LightFactory allows you to associate Media Playback effects with a DMX Input submaster, effectively allowing DMX (or Artnet) inputs to control the playing media clip. Of course you could just use LightFactory to control your lights & video and use internal timecode to link the two :)

Let me know if you need any help setting this up,

Peter

• 6 months later...

Archived