How can I achieve this light effect?

Mark M

Ive read through the how to light a bass drum thread but this is slightly different as they wont be used and instead will be purely used as scenary.

This is the sort of thing Im after, I realise I wont get the colour as vibrant as it is in the picture without spending a whole pile of cash that we dont have so any budget friendly alternatives would be appreciated.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8389/drumlights.gif

Heat is going to be an issue so will have to be led or similar I suspect? If it were LED then I could look at colour changing too which would be very nice.

Ive got plenty of bass drums heads (being a drumshop) that I can try out to see what gives the best effect too once the fixtures are identified.

Thanks

Edit - forgot to mention that there is a big chance of needing to light both sides of the drum and not just one. Obviously will need to ensure both skins are the same on both sides first.

LED pars or floods are certainly the way to go, your issue will be control. Each unit could just be set to sound to light if you aren't concerned about randomness. Most led fixtures cheaply available come with a sound to light function and in-built microphone, however if you want more control then you are going to want a small desk or windows based software with DMX dongle.

If you need to light both directions at once then either two fixtures per drum or some sort of LED omnidirectional unit, have a hunt on the t'interweb on sites such as CPC, maplins etc.

You'll be looking at around the £50 per unit level I would expect, if not more.

Thanks for the reply, I should have been more specific in my first post. Its only the actual lighting I need advice on, Im planning on using MagicQ for the control side.

Do you think 1 LED par (per skin) would get a fairly equal light on the drum skin? I thought it may end up with a small circle of light on the drum skin due to how close they will have to be mounted?

Would a frost filter on the front of the can help with the eveness?

If you're looking to light it from inside, I would suggest that you make the inside of the drum as reflective as possible, either painting/covering in white, or perhaps even a mirrored/dappled mirror reflective cover (L273). Rather than directing light straight at the skin/head, light the (now reflective) body of the drum to get a diffuse light throughout. The trouble with conventional LED pars and floods will be size... You might end up needing a few small units as opposed to one or two big ones...

Much easier would be to light it through from behind, with a bit of distance to allow the full head to be hit directly, using a single LED par (or, even better, three conventional lanterns to give a lot more punch...), but that is obviously a one sided option.

Gareth.

Never though too much about the inside but the mirrors are a good idea. The drums will have to be lit from the insides due to them hanging and it would spoil the effect if you could see the light source in my opinion.

How about a sheet of gel on the inside of an translucent skin in the colour of your choice and then a 60w d0mestic lamp hanging in the centre of the drum. Single dimming Chan per drum and although you don't get the colour changing of the LEDs it is much cheaper.

Josh

As mentioned before

make the inside reflective as possible with diffused drum skins then lay a KAM/Prolight FLAT LED PAR FIXTURE. (you get 4 in a kit for a reasonable price) in the botome of the bass drum.

All the cabling can be run up through the tom tom mount holes.

let us know what you do in the end

james

How about a sheet of gel on the inside of an translucent skin in the colour of your choice and then a 60w d0mestic lamp hanging in the centre of the drum. Single dimming Chan per drum and although you don't get the colour changing of the LEDs it is much cheaper.

Josh

Or to take this further, why not forget the gel and use 3 0r 4 coloured lamps of your choice?. this way you can change colour and you get the 360 coverage?.

I wouldnt have thought that would be a fire hazard, plenty of air inside a drum!!.

Does the light have to come from within? Could an external light source be focused onto each drum skin. This would allow you to use a white skin as in the pic and get a more even colour than using LEDs and wouldnt blind people looking at them either!

Steve

Having a think about this last night, the drums are going to be suspended from the roof with very limited access once they are installed. Id be happy to go with bulbs inside but what are the life span of a bulb and how often would it need changing if as above it was on 6 days a week for 8 hours?

The light has to come from inside, I appreciated I could get a better result from outside but there is just too much in the way and no where to mount them that wouldnt upset the aesthetics

Archived