Whalfedale EVPX15B

MisterJames

Hello,

The EVPX15B coverover freq.. is 45hz - 250hz.... There about 500 pounds for a pair.. I know whalfedale are good but is that subwoofer low enough bass level wise. I mean I have no idea what music can go down to these days freq. wise... The 18" version rumbles down to 38hz but will it ever go that low?

Music played will range from LADY GAGA to Classical numbers, even extend into pop/rock - Plus live events/concerts (mostly music)

Rest of the spec for the EVPX15B are as follows.

400 watts (rms) subwoofer

131db maximum spl

So in short is 45hz deep enough? I mean yeah 38hz is good but im not spending much? It all depends on how deep music goes. Im listening to lady GAGA now on some Pioneer CS-5070 that rumble down to 45hz and it quite low so I wonder how deep bass goes on music?

Cheers

James

Just for future reference, the below is an 'equal loudness curve'. Basically, any point on a single line will be heard by yourself as the same 'loudness' (which we measure in 'phon'.

As you can see, at really low frequencies, you need a LOT of level. Below 50Hz or so is reserved for massive subs with electronic dance music, or people with very nice Hi-Fi set ups sat in a listening room. (as a generalization)

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/graphics/ISO226.png

Archived