Wireless POV cameras

Ian H

Have a look around on gadget sites / CPC / Maplins for wireless CCTV cameras.

I've seen loads of little CCTV cameras which can run off a PP3 9V battery and wirelessly send the signal back to a base station at a relatively good price. Usually its just the module and lens which isn't too large, so you'd have to find a nice way of mounting it, but I doubt it would be that tricky.

Worth a try anyway.

'Suitable' is a bit of a funny word for wireless video, because 99% of the time the quality is appalling and the end product very bad. If you do a quick search for wireless video you'll see that unless you're prepared to spend big money the results are often barely usable.

If the client is happy with that, then something like the above advice is the best you could hope for. You could look into using a pin-hole camera with a wireless transmitter, which together would be the size of a beltpack. But don't expect anything good.

'Suitable' is a bit of a funny word for wireless video, because 99% of the time the quality is appalling and the end product very bad. If you do a quick search for wireless video you'll see that unless you're prepared to spend big money the results are often barely usable.

If the client is happy with that, then something like the above advice is the best you could hope for. You could look into using a pin-hole camera with a wireless transmitter, which together would be the size of a beltpack. But don't expect anything good.

Client has the Dollars.....needs to be robust and capable of a reasonable resolution..

I remember looking at a small microwave link used in films for directors monitor back in 91.. looked good until you read the small print, I wasn't going to mount that anywhere near the acts head...things might have moved on now.

Client has the Dollars.....needs to be robust and capable of a reasonable resolution..

I remember looking at a small microwave link used in films for directors monitor back in 91.. looked good until you read the small print, I wasn't going to mount that anywhere near the acts head...things might have moved on now.

In which case look into the transmission systems used for steadicam video assist and the like, they're designed to be portable and run off battery power. Peter Gabriel used to do his live shows with POV cameras mounted on helmets using a similar system. Marrel make some high quality video links for this purpose.

In which case look into the transmission systems used for steadicam video assist and the like, they're designed to be portable and run off battery power. Peter Gabriel used to do his live shows with POV cameras mounted on helmets using a similar system. Marrel make some high quality video links for this purpose.

Funny old World your thinking of his Secret World Tour and the song was Digging in the Dirt, I built the hat cam (see comment above) We ended up with a long XLR for dc power and BNC running up and down the stage....

Still one of the most memorable tours I have ever been involved in... Happy Days

You might want to have a look at this companies products:

Videosys

I have used their Solo 2 product and found it to be extremely reliable even in less than ideal RF environments. The photos make the transmitter pack look larger and bulkier than it actually is. You could comfortably attach it to a guitar strap for your application.

I have a show in London and one in Bath this weekend that will have one of these units on it. PM me if you would like to pop along and have a look.

Cheers,

Peter

Note: I am not in anyway affiliated to Videosys nor would I profit from any sales of the units, however I would advise anyone seriously interested in buying to contact me as I can point them in the right direction for a very competitive price.

Archived