Projection turning pink

ojc123

School hall. Panasonic projector about 3 years old. Don't know the model.

If I project a white slide then there is a pink cast starting from the bottom right and spreading over about 25% of the screen.

The centre is bright and the left side of the screen is starting to develop the pink colour.

I guess this is not a good thing and wondered if any one more experienced in projection could suggest what is causing this and if there are any easy ways to sort it. I ask the last bit more in hope than expectation.

Thanks

Lamp was changed about 6 months ago when it started to fade. I suspect the LCD/whatever screen is on the blink. Thanks for the prompt replies.

go to www.projectorcentral.com and find your model, its almost certainly a lcd model rather than a dlp, if so id say the panels are starting to burn. In my experience uneven colour casts are never the lamp and its anoying the number of people suggest changing it as all you are doing is wasting a couple of hunder quid effectively buying a spare lamp for a worn out projector. We see a lot of units like this and as the optical engine is generally prohibitively expensive, sadly its destined for a skip as over time its only going to get slowly worse. At least a replacement will almost certainly have more durable inorganic panels.

Older LCDs use organic panels and they have a finite lifespan, the fact that a lot of manufacturers only honour their warranty for 4000 hours use says a lot. You can avoid a lot of problems by cleaning the filters regularly as clogged filters mean more heat mean burnt panels and shorter lamplife

Try adjusting the focus to see if you can bring the pinkness in to focus. Dust on (one or more of) the LCD panels can cause that sort of symptom; you may find that you'll get large pink spots coming more in to focus as you throw the projected image out of focus. Depending on the projector, a clean of the LCDs may be economically viable.

its anoying the number of people suggest changing it as all you are doing is wasting a couple of hunder quid effectively buying a spare lamp for a worn out projector.

Sorry!!! I would have thought that would be the first thing you check!

from a practical point of view as the projector is 3 years old, try and find out exactly when it was purchased as its almost certainly got a full 3year warranty and if you are lucky and bought it less than 3 years ago its a warranty repair as long as its within the warranty terms and panasonic will repair the thing free of charge...

all panasonic need to see is an invoice with date and serial no. as the date of manufacture has no bearing on the warranty, its when the retailer sold it to the end user that the warranty starts.

back to the focus, on most units if you zoom wide then focus to the extreme end, you focus on the dust stuck to the panel rather than the panel. on the image this generally manifests itself as soft focussed coloured {often blue} blothches. a moreeven colour cast is generally the panels burning out.

you can however get strange coloured effects when using a vga cable with a bad connection in one of the rgb signals, the unit will work and be stable, the colours will justl ook a bit funny, its easy to check by switching to a comp. video input, if the cast is the same, its the panels.

Archived