Interview Advice

mark_s

When you had this accident I assume/ hope you were using all the necessary safety equipment and taking the standard climbing precautions?

If you had the accident through your own negligence then I, as an interviewer, would not be impressed.

Cheers

Gerry

When you had this accident I assume/ hope you were using all the necessary safety equipment and taking the standard climbing precautions?

If you had the accident through your own negligence then I, as an interviewer, would not be impressed.

He was climbing, recreationally. There are no "standard" precautions and there is no "necessary" safety equipment.

Unlike in the world of work, it is up to the individual to make an informed judgement. Long may it continue.

After a bit of a conversation about it you, as the interviewer, might decide you think he's a reckless individual based on your own experience, based on certain (possibly erroneous) assumptions, or based on complete ignorance. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

If you do know something about climbing, you might have noticed he mentioned hitting a bolt hanger in his second post in this thread and know from that what kind of climbing he was doing. Its pretty far from 'out there'.

He was climbing, recreationally. There are no "standard" precautions and there is no "necessary" safety equipment.

Unlike in the world of work, it is up to the individual to make an informed judgement. Long may it continue.

After a bit of a conversation about it you, as the interviewer, might decide you think he's a reckless individual based on your own experience, based on certain (possibly erroneous) assumptions, or based on complete ignorance. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

I've seemed to have hit a raw nerve with you. :) ;)

Probably most interviewers wouldn't know the first thing about climbing, but they would probably be impressed if the interviewee said he had taken all the "standard" precautions and was using all the "necessary" safety equipment.

Cheers

Gerry

...but if the interviewer DID know about climbing--and more people than you'd guess have done at least some--reference to "standard" precautions and "necessary" equipment would sound like a load of tosh--climbers just don't use phrases like that. It's probably better to be accurate as far as you go but leave the details to a follow up question (if there is one). "I had a fall and the rope held me but caused me to swing into bolt hanger down lower" or something would probably be enough.

Bob

Archived