B.O. - Em. Stop button for DMX

Wuddy

Does this creature exist, can I buy one or build one?

I am wanting a device to insert (remote from the desk) into a DMX line which when activated sends the dimmers into B.O.

I don't want to physically break the signal, I don't want the dimmers to default to a pre-set condition, I want them all to B.O. and then return to original state when device is de-activated.

Any advice or guidance appreciated.

Does this creature exist, can I buy one or build one?

I am wanting a device to insert (remote from the desk) into a DMX line which when activated sends the dimmers into B.O.

I don't want to physically break the signal, I don't want the dimmers to default to a pre-set condition, I want them all to B.O. and then return to original state when device is de-activated.

Any advice or guidance appreciated.

Hello Wuddy;

It would help us if you can tell us which dimmers we are talking about.

Dimmers we have in our theatre do! (ETC MAtrix II), we can program the processor that if DMX is lost (switched off in this case) to black-out (eliminates all incoming signal) and go to black, also we can configure in case of DMX-loss to play a preset or go into a pre programmed back up state.

And that's what it is all about; not sending a signal (pre set) will not tell your dimmers to do anything, where you want them to black out.

Using the B.O. button actually does exactly what you want, why looking for more trouble?

Martijn de Groot

hitting the BO button if your desk has one?
Using the B.O. button actually does exactly what you want, why looking for more trouble?

Probably because he asked for something which was ...

remote from the desk

A few ways I'd say are possible

1) If your desk supports a remote trigger input - have a remote button on a wire to trigger a cue that blacks out the outputs to 0

2) If your desk supports MIDI input - treat it as above but using a cheap MIDI keyboard, so a midi message triggers a cue to black out the outputs

3) Use a DMX>ArtNet>DMX converter? Input DMX to artnet (or output straight from artnet on your desk if it supports it), then use a bit of software to zero any of the values if a button is pressed, and then output artnet to DMX again?

Archived