par16's

Matt

hi,

one has been approached by someone who owns a long room, that I use sometimes, asking if I could put some lights up, not the "big" ones I have used before (56's and 36's), so I was thinking of getting a cast of par16's (silver to blend with the rooms decor) to add colour accents on the walls, to make it a bit more lively.

the real question is, well not even a question, more of advice, should I point them at the floor to colour the floor (which I think would look ok), or having them point straight down the wall (which I also think would look nice, but a bit of a waste in my mind). or would you say a mixture of both?

Matt.

ok, I was thinking of playiong around yes, well is about 30m long and 6m wide, its used a function room, but every now and then at the higher end (raiseed ceiling) we sometimes have a band playing to "entertain" us.

will be primarily for decoration, one thinks it would look better than recessed eyeball things in the ceiling, would look better than the weird hsaped picutre illuminaires there is aswell.

Matt.

Just to go all arty and laterally thought for a moment, you could always put the birdies on the walls then put some interesting lightily-coloured shapes on the ceiling and bounce the light off them. It would give a softer, more diffuse light and might look 'kinda cool'.

Sorry, just a thought.

JSB.

yeah that sounds good, like triangles and squares etc... have seen somethinglike it, using coloured mirrors, I thought it looked cool. anyone know where you can get coloured mirrors from??? blue green etc...

yeah, I've seen that in my little filter thing I have, might try experimenting, there is also a silver one if I am remembering correctly (as the filter thing is downstairs cba)

Guest lightnix

It's difficult to know what to suggest without seeing a drawing or picture of the room, but birdies can make an attractive part of the overall lighting picture. I'm not sure I'd use them as the sole solution to alll my lighting needs, though.

They are low wattage lights and as such don't have any great throw to speak of; after a few feet the light level drops off pretty rapidly. I've also spent enough time focussing great walls of them to know what a PITA they can be, if there are large amounts of them to deal with.

Birdies make great highlighters for picking up things like sculptures, plants, shapes and the like. Used this way, they can add a nice, bright element to the overall picture, without adding too much to the ambient light level.

If you want to use them to wash up or down walls, then look at using Howie battens rather than lots of individual units, which will need constant refocussing.

One idea I've toyed with is to use recessed narrow angle birdies to throw a streak up or down a wall, but to have an angled mirror at the top/bottom, to throw some light back again and out a little. I'm not sure how it would work in practice - you may not get a huge amount of light bouncing off the mirror :)

Just my €0.02...

dunno if I said earlier on, but they are just to throw in a little colour as the main lights are tacky (dimmable :S ?) strip lights... just trying to lift the mood of the room whilst making it look smart

Archived