1200W tungsten vs 1kW CSI

Stuart Basson

I need to replace ageing Solo followspots. Price is the overriding consideration, and I have access to a bit more than three grand; just enough rhino to get (for instance) a pair of Robert Juliat "Cricket" spots, with a 1200W CP93.

How is the light that comes out of one of those likely to compare to the output of the Solo, with a 1kW CSI in it? In terms of quantity, colour and quality? Is there anything better for my money?

If it helps, our FS are 22m from the stage and compete with an FOH rig of average 12 x Source 4, with 750W bubbles in, which are some 12m from the stage. Now of course, when we spot someone, we drop FOH a bit where desirable, so that's possibly all irrelevant...!

Whilst I am not that familiar with the products mentioned, as a general rule, a CSI or other metal halide lamp gives about four times the light of a halogen lamp of similar wattage.

A 1,000 watt discharge lamp should therefore give at least three times the light of a 1,200 watt halogen.

The lamps are often longer lasting, and are certainly more resistant to knocks and vibration which is of some importance for a followspot.

The light from most discharge sources has a higher colour temperature than halogen, some types are much colder, others only slightly.

If a deep blue or violet is required, then discharge lamps can give 5 or more times the filtered light output of a halogen.

If orange or red is required, then the filtered output might be only twice that of a halogen lamp.

The CSI will be much brighter, although the Solo is a bit of a lump compared to the cricket, but very good build quality on both. The reasons you might prefer a Halogen source would generally be if you want the colour temperature the same as a generic rig, and don't want the spot to stand out too much, and also if you want control of the followspots from the desk via dimmers. Personally I find that an arc source is preferable for followspots because it kicks in over the rest of the rig and highlights the performers you are spotting.

We had to replace 1K CSIs and while doing it, tried 1.2K tungsten, and frankly they were like a glow worm compared to the old ones. Totally agree with comments about colour temp - got to be discharge really to replace discharge.

Pearl River Orlands are cheap, and have proven to be quite nice. Having a colour wheel is handy from time to time, although the colour temp wheel is actually more useful for a light pink or steely blue. Price wise, they'll fit your budget.

Yet another vote for discharge - the Selecon Pacific follow with a 575W discharge lamp thrashes the pants of a 1200W tungsten.

And I really like the fact that the discharge color is of a much higher colour temperature compared to the rest of the conventional rig - it makes what the follows are illuminating really stand out and, after all, most of the time thats exactly what you want.

Hi Stuart,

If you prefer discharge lamp because of colour temperature, efficiency, life... have a look on Robert Juliat Buxie.

Buxie is using the same housing than Cricket with a mechanical dimmer inside the lens tube. So you keep the same construction and optic quality but with the benefits from the 575W MSD lamp.

Don't forget that you can swap the lamp bases between Buxie and Cricket... so you always have the choice of color temperature!

Archived