Music Playback

michael

Hi, Next week I am operating the sound for a dance show and then the week after a talent show (makes a change from lighting!!!).

I am using Logic to add reverb and delay through a mackie onyx satellite, but would like to know if there are any other softwares I can download for playing back the music.

I have thought of using iTunes but not sure yet.

Many Thanks

Michael

It does rather depend on what format the music is on, and how long you have to inject it. Trying to do it while they are rehearsing is a nightmare. Plenty of times I've just managed to get the stuff in, then somebody hands you a new CD with the 126th edit. I hate working from CDs, but sometimes, it's just the only way unless you have music early and no chance of change.

At the risk of sounding like a cynic...

Whatever the organisers of a dance show tell you about when you'll have the CDs....experience says that at least one or two will arrive moments before the show--or even during it. Always have a contingency plan to handle these late arrivals!

Bob

What features does the basic version lack?

Multi-channel (ie more than two/stereo) output, MIDI control, video support, things like that. (These are assumptions based on v1 - we haven't upgraded yet.)

It doesn't take too long to rip an audio track and drag and drop it into the workspace, but I'd have a CD rigged up as well if you're getting them on the fly - ie. after the show has started.

My favourite CD mishap was a charity fashion show - the music was over four CDs, and was handed to me approximately five minutes before the show started. However, there was also a cue sheet, which required the songs to be played in an order that bared no resemblance to the track order on the CD, or in fact which CD they were on.

CD 4 Track 3

CD 2 Track 16

CD 1 Track 9

etc.

Archived