Switcher

gareth

I need a simple A/B switch box that's capable of flipping between two 3.5mm stereo jack inputs on a 3.5mm stereo jack output. I could knock one together easily enough - but there's no point in spending the time making one if I can just buy one from somewhere at a reasonable price ....

Anyone know whether such a thing exists 'off-the-shelf'? I've tried Maplin and CPC with no success - any other suggetions?

Gareth

There are lots of simple a/b switchers that work in the stereo phono domain? would it be possible to consider one of these and three phono to 3.5mm leads?

James

Gareth

There are lots of simple a/b switchers that work in the stereo phono domain? would it be possible to consider one of these and three phono to 3.5mm leads?

James

Yeah, I found loads of options using phono connectors - I was just wondering whether I could source a 3.5mm option. It's for switching a speaker system between a laptop and a desktop - running 3.5mm to phono from the computers is easy enough, but the speakers have a captive 3.5mm cable on them and ideally I'd like to be able to avoid using a phono-to-3.5mm jumper.

Gareth

I was just trying to work out if you were Stu's clone or vice versa when you changed to the cow. I think we were all getting confused.

Sorry--off topic but  I couldn't resist!

Brian

Hehe! Yeah, seems like we both decided to change to the same avatar at the same time! But never mind, the cow is now back from the parallel dimension to tell us about the beans ..... :( (You really need to see the animation to have the slightest clue what I'm talking about!)

Meanwhile, back at the topic - anyone got any good suggestions before I toddle off down to Maplin tomorrow and buy some bits?

Gareth,

Second alternative?

I assume that the desktop doesn't move at all, therefore could you run the laptop sound into the desktop line in and run that to the speakers?

Only problem with this is that the desktop has to be on to listen to the laptop,

benefit is that it is a very cheep alternative.

Third alternative,

A second pair pf speakers could be cheeper

James

I assume that the desktop doesn't move at all, therefore could you run the laptop sound into the desktop line in and run that to the speakers?

Blimey, you're cooking on gas today, ain't ya?! :(

I had considered this, but as you say ....

Only problem with this is that the desktop has to be on to listen to the laptop

Exactly. Don't really want to be restricted in that way.

Third alternative,

A second pair pf speakers could be cheeper

Another pair of the rather lovely Harman Kardon speakers that I have on my desk would cost me over £100, so perhaps that's not such an attractive option! :P

I think I'll be going down the route of knocking a switcher together myself - looks like it's going to be the easiest/cheapest solution in the long run. But thanks for your suggestions.

At least by building it yourself you can choose the enclosure you want yourself... Have you concidered mounting it on a spare blanking plate.. so its on the front of your computer rather than another box to clutter your desk.

If you are building it yourself you could do what I did earlier at work - stick a couple of 10K resistors in it and forget the switch - you've essentially got a simple 2 into 1 resistive mixer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived