Haze-Smoke Machine ?

Andy!

Hello for an upcomming dance show that I am part of we need to have either haze or smoke the reason we dont want smoke is because it is too nosiey and haze I know to be less noisey. So which do you think I should go for. Or is there a smoke machine that is quiter?

(Also if anyone is interesting in seeing a dance show please get in contact with me and ill tell you details)

You want to hire either a DF50 or a Jem stage hazer. Or any of the other haze machines made by Cirro Lite or Le Maitre.

These work very quietly and produce a very fine mist which will not intrude on your show like a blast of smoke will.

BEWARE cheap alternatives which claim to be haze machines as they are normally more like smoke machines and produce dense clouds of smoke rather than a fine mist.

If you are unsure most hire companies will demo one for you to show you what a hazer or cracker looks like.

The Neutron Star is a lovely little machine and is pretty darn quiet and produces a very fine thin haze perfect for effects lighting.  Highly recommend it!

Used a Neutron Star for the first time a few weeks ago, and to be honest I didn't think it was as good as it's been made out to be.

It was OK - but nothing more than that. To my eyes, its output is not so much haze as "smoke that's been blown around a bit". I found the DMX control not to be as smooth as I'd like it to be (there seemed to be a very fine line between off and full-on). And I really hated the way it kept stopping every few minutes to clean itself out. :)

Personally, I think the Look Solutions Unique is a better hazer. A DF50 or a Cirro is better still. And an MDG Atmosphere is even better.

I'd agree with Gareth, The Looksolutions Unique Hazer is awesome, it is good enough to fill a 500 seater (though I'd recommend two) but so controllable that you could operate it in you living room without you neighbor calling the fire brigade.

They are a git to clean, but I'm told that they are working on that! Not a problem if you hire one.

And they are the quietest haze machine I've used - I've used a few (keep the fan level down)

Check out the site for specs http://www.looksolutions.com/english/index.htm

MDG Atmospheres are great, but you need CO2, again, not a problem if you hire, but more expesive.

DF50's are good, but I found them to be very noisy, we had quite an old one mind you.

The Cirro strata is great too, noisy, but you can split off the compressor and move it anywhere withing reason making it very quiet. Again not cheap.

One thing to point out is that there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the effect you get with 'hazer' and a 'smoke machine'. The behavior of the haze or smoke varies with each machine, but smoke and haze are different. I't like comparing the steam you get from a steam train (smoke) and a foggy morning (haze).

Smoke will eventually disperse and with fans can be made to look more like haze. It all really depends on the effect you want.

I've rambled on for far too long, but one final point:

Be aware that no matter how subtle, light or human friendly the smoke or haze you choose is, there will always be one fat bloke sitting on the back row, who will cough as soon as he sees the first whisp of haze on the stage, and retire to the foyer claiming he's having an asma attack!

Apparantly, so Peter (Kirkup) was telling me, there is an issue with running the Look Solution Unique Hazer from a Fat Frog. Something to do with DMX refresh rate I think.

Anyway while not a problem for the bigger venues who'll be running 520i's, Expression 3s or Pearls (etc) it's something to remember for the smaller ones.

I'm sure Peter will explain in more detail.

Cheers,

Stu

Apparantly, so Peter (Kirkup) was telling me, there is an issue with running the Look Solution Unique Hazer from a Fat Frog. Something to do with DMX refresh rate I think.

It seemed to be an isolated issue - I believe due to a change in the products making up the FF. The affected Fat Frogs were only manufactured over a very short period of time (September 2003?). I've since used Unique's with Fat Frogs with no problems.

I own quite a few Newtron hazers, and I love them to bits.

you have to make sure you use PROPER le maitre newtron fluid, I find the output great not to heavey and the intervals are just right.

Never use it on DMX as there is no need to turn it off and on, the whole object off having a constant output machine, is for the fact you can turn it on at the start of your show, and off at the end.

The cleaning function is a great feature, and keeps the machine working longer.

I also like the fact that there is no heat up time, and it is whisper quiet.

Le maitre have sold millions of these machines through out the world, so the majority of people must quite like them.

its output is not so much haze as "smoke that's been blown around a bit"

put the newtron next to the ultimate haze (chauvet) and that will show you the difference between a smoke machine with a fan and a newtron

put the newtron next to the ultimate haze (chauvet) and that will show you the difference between a smoke machine with a fan and a newtron

Put the NeUtron (if you're going to champion a product, you could at least learn how to spell its name!) next to an MDG atmosphere, and that will show you how far short of the performance of a proper haze machine it actually falls.

I don't know how you can possibly say that "the intervals are just right". My point is that it has intervals, and that it's sod's law that the moment at which you really need a haze top-up is the moment that it's going to decide to put itself off-line for a bit of colonic irrigation.

If, as you say, it should never be used on DMX as there's no need, why the hell do LeMaitre go to the bother of shipping a DMX interface box for it? (And while we're on the subject, why can't said interface be built into the machine? It's not exactly huge, is it - I'm sure they could have found a corner of the main case into which to stuff the interface circuitry ...)

Oh, yes, I've just remembered another thing that annoyed me about it - you've got to undo a screw and take part of the cover off just to get at the fluid bottle in order to fill it. I can't think of any other smoke or haze machine that makes a user go through that kind of performance, including breaking open the tool kit, just to top the fluid up.

I don't dispute the fact that LeMaitre have sold a lot of these machines (although I suspect that "millions" is pushing it a bit!). Personally, though, I don't give a monkeys how many they've sold. I like their pyro products, and most of their smoke machine range, but I just don't really like the Neutron hazer. It's as simple as that. Skoda sold an awful lot of Favorits, too ......

you are a very rude, and arrogant man gareth!!

I was stating my opinion gareth.

I find the neUtron very good for the application I use it for, any many others will agree that it is very good for its size and its cost.

we cant all afford big spangled equipment Gareth!!

the intervals in the output are not so much a problem I think the interval is something like 6 seconds, which is nothing!!

and I meant that I never use it via DMX as there is no real need, if your playing a large venue, because you shouldnt need gaps in the output, and therefore you get a constant output of very fine haze, and your performance area is constantly in mist.

DMX is put in most products now to add flexible aspects. Doest meen its essential for best usage.

and the neutron is that good and economical on fluid I only have to fill it probably once every two months, and I never have to fill it mid gig. And at the end of the day its 2 thumb screws, which dont need tools, you can also service, the coil, pump and air pump, in the same fashion as filling, as 70% of the parts are in the same compartment.

Ive used the machines, and have had the machines spec-ed on many high end performances

Neutron XS Hazer by Le Maitre

Entertainment Design "Lighting Product of the Year"

I was stating my opinion gareth.

Just as I was stating mine. You like the Neutron, I don't. Wouldn't the world be a dull place if everyone agreed?

And at the end of the day its 2 thumb screws, which dont need tools

In that case, I can only assume that the one I used had lost one of its thumbscrews and had it replaced with a bog-standard Pozi-head machine screw.

Archived