Linking amplifiers

Alec

I need to feed two amplifiers in an installation, but can't do it by using the amplifiers' link output as each is being fed by a speaker management unit, and I want the second one on a delay.

So, my simple question is whether it's as simple as wiring my input to the first speaker management unit and the delay processor in parallel (balanced connectors).

It's a Celestion SR1 system, BTW. I know I *could* simply connect LMS-1 to amp-1, and then take amp-1's link output via a delay to amp-2. However, I'm using Celestion's cunning SRC-1 LMS which has speaker sensing, so I really want to use an LMS per amp/speaker to maximise protection. Hope this makes sense!

Depending on what's been spec'd for the delay processor, could you split within the processor, run two channels out without delay and two with? If it's something programmable with excess outputs you may be able to do it that way as well.

(That's two channels with zero delay and two delayed assuming a stereo system, I'm not entirely familiar with the setup described.)

Thanks, that's the confirmation I need.

Must take a look inside the amps I've got, as I have never known if there's any cunning buffer circuitry between an amp's input and it's link output, or whether they're simply hard wired.

And well aware of the lack of delay functionality on the SRC-1s, I'll be using a separate delay unit.

That's what I'd meant - in the separate delay unit, if you used something like an Omnidrive with at least four outputs you could pass two channels straight through and delay two channels, thus negating the need for the passive split. It may not be worth buying a full-featured unit just for this functionality but if the delay unit has already been spec'd it's another way of doing it.

As has already been said just get a dedicated Loudspeaker Management System(LMS) such a second hand BSS minidrive or XTA DP226 or whatever and just take outputs 1+2 to your first controller and amp and outputs 3+4 to your second controller + amp.

Just set appropriate delays on the LMS for outputs 3+4 and you should be sorted.

If I read your post correctly, I've got the impression that you were intending to use a standard delay unit as found in an fx rack etc. You could do this but I wouldn't recommend it.

It'd be cabled something like this then.

Source connected to y cables with one output connected directly to controller & amp and the other output connected to delay unit followed by controller & amp. Obviously you'd have 2 of these setups. Left & Right signal.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Archived