Moving Head Maintenance Course

michael

Hi, Has anybody been on the stage electrics moving head maintenance course and was it any good or know of any other course of the same thing.

I know martin did one but im not sure if they are doing it now.

Would it be worth going on the same sort of course? I thought it would be a good thing to put onto my CV

Many Thanks

Michael

p.s. Merry Christmas :-) :)

Can't comment on how well the course is delivered as I've not been on this particular one, but whilst it may look good on the CV, be under no impression that it will suddenly get you work. Going on course's IMO merely give you a certification of knowledge you already have (the NRC for instance..) or give you an insight into a field of work. I've always thought of training courses as good for gear familiarisation and to achieve one of the above.

I've seen a few CV's filled with details of courses they've been on, most notably desk training! Does that mean they're good programmers.. certainly not, not unless the CV also states they've programed x shows on that desk, all about having real world experience.. With regards to ML maintenance, I'd say the only course that stands out as being more than 'just a training course' was the old VL 200/300 series ones run by VLPS, those guys all know they're sh!t. Probably because following this, they were often given jobs assisting ML techs on site or the warehouse.

Anyways, I'm drifting off point here. Is the course worth doing? Considering your age and being a student (sorry if this sounds patronising), I'd say probably yes.. Being as its from SLX, it'll give you a chance to get up close to some industry standard ML's and hopefully you'll learn some basic tricks and common bugs that'll help make you a good lampie that can troubleshoot/fault find on site when there isn't a tech around for whatever reason. Always useful to be able to do front line maintenance to get the gig up on time!

HTH, T

*Mods... Should this perhaps be moved into the Training & Qualifications section?*

I have done the Martin course for the Mac series and Mac 2000 series and also the general servicing of MLs course. They are well delivered and cover most things. There are a little on the expensive side, especially for a student, but the knowledge you gain from the courses is worth knowing for future situations and can even sometimes help you fault find on a product from another manufacturer. You get a certificate at the end of the course (after a short test), and you are also granted access to a service centre on the Martin website which hosts a wealth of information for service and troubleshooting purposes. All in all, I think I spent a week at the Martin office (when it was in Kent). It was well worth it, they are really nice guys with a good training programme.

I can't really comment on the White Light or Stage Electrics course as I have never done them.

Best Regards,

Hi

A relevant qualification can only help to make your CV more attractive, however some of the courses only cover general maintenance and fault-finding. All this information is found in the service manuals, which can usually be downloaded for free off the internet.

When I first started I wasn't able to afford a course, so I taught myself my taking things like Mac500s, 600s and Cyberlights to pieces and putting them back together again (with varying success.) When I actually did the Martin course for that generation of lights I wasn't learning anything that I hadn't already discovered for myself.

All the best

Timmeh

I did a one day Martin moving head servicing course a while ago. It was dedicated to the Martin units (obviously) and I must admit I found it more of a familiarisation course learning where the various parts are located and basic fault finding, set-up etc. It was worth it though to meet the guys at Martin and make contacts that have continued to be usefull over time.

Archived