Noise regulations for under 16s?

tolley1466

I was at work today and a parent approached me about the concerts being too loud and he was concerned about his hearing. I explained to him about noise regualtions not covering audience members but he told me that there were regs for children under 16.

I'm unaware of this, are the actually regualtions in place to protect under 16s?

Trouble is, it's a school, so the staff have a duty of care towards their students - who in this circumstance could be considered in the same way employees are, in that if they don't have a choice - as in buying a ticket, then the employer needs to protect them. However - it's exposure as well as volume that's the key - so a loud rock concert for an hour could be fine, if the rest of the school day has been quiet!

Public can damage themselves how they want, but we're not allowed to damage school kids - tempting though it always is!

Thought so. I'm aware of the noise at work regulations and I've also thought about the exposure times and I'll dig some stuff out later I got given by an Audiologist and present it to my boss tomorrow.

We do offer hearing protection to the students and staff but I think this is the start of really enforcing the noise at work regualtions for the other staff members.

Thanks for answering my question by the way ;)

Archived