Buying new radio mic - Beta 86, 87A or 87C?

Pete Alcock

I presently have 2 Shure UHF handheld SM58s which have always been great sounding and rock-solid RF-wise, despute only being the old UT series. I need another mic for an upcoming show and am looking at the SLX range.

Question is which head to go for? I quite fancy a condenser head because my current favourite vocal mic for most singers is an LD1011 condenser from Adam Hall (amazing value at around £45).

I suppose the 87 must be better than the 86 because it costs more, but A or C? I rarely have singers use in-ears, so it'll mainly be with wedges. It won't always be with very experienced vocalists though, so I'm a bit worried about the C being too directional. Is this unfounded? Do they sound the same?

Thanks as always,

Pete.

Firstly, SM86= Cardiod condenser, B87A = Supercardiod, B87C= Cardiod

The SM86 is good and solid. However it has never given me that wow factor that I get with some live vocal condensors. The Beta 87A tends to sound good in soundcheck, but I've found it to be incredibly tempermental when it comes to feedback, and despite really careful placement, and ringing the nuts off the monitors, it still has taken off on me without any plausible reason when the talent strolls up to it. If I were you I'd start at the cardiod B87 and then go from there.

Matt

Have you considered the Electrovoice RE410. Available as wired or as a radio.

Personally, and everyone who has used the RE410 says it completely knocks the socks off any Beta - in terms of clarity, sharpness and simply sounding like a fabtastic microphone!!

If you're looking for something a little cheaper N/D767

Paul

I totally agree with Paul that the RE410 is a great mic. I have 12 RE410 radio systems and 8 Shure systems. The RE410 sounds better than the Shure with any of the heads (SM58, Beta58 or Beta 87). I have done a shoot-out and will always pick the EV for anything I am mixing. When we are supplying for other engineers then they always want Shure, hence keeping the Shure mics in our hire stock.

Its worth pointing out if you go with the 87A that it has quite a sharp lobe off the back of it and works better with a pair of monitors, placed one either side, rather than a single cabinet straight in front of the performer.

Agree 100% with the pair / single wedges comment by Phil. The best way would be to try them. not always easy. The SLX range are reliable enough units so there's no real issue there. As for which head, application and your own ears are the deciding factors here. If you want to try an 87A head, let me know, we have some so you're welcome to try one.

Rob

Pete,

Are you seriously going to buy a Radio Mic before the 2012 switch over and Radio Mic frequency change?

We still have no clarification as to what frequencies will be available after 2012 so will you make your money back on hire's before the radio mic's become unusable?

Digital systems seem to be the only future proof way forward without costly reprogramming and retuning costs IMO if you must buy Radio Mic's rather than hire until this disaster created by Ofcom is over.

Jimbo

First, understand that unless you are spending upwards of $2k each, any wireless mic you get will sound inferior to a wired mic with the same capsule. Go wireless only if you must.

Second, I've worked with a number of the affordable Shure wireless, and I have hated them all. Not only do they fail to pick up the nuances of the voice as well as a wired mic with the same capsule, they are more mushy and indistinct when the singer is in his/her low & quiet range, and more bright and irritating when the singer is in his/her loud & high range.

Third, I prefer the sound of Sennheiser's capsules. And I think their affordable wireless sounds a bit better than the Shure.

The X2 seem to be getting good comments.

I heard AKG 4100 capsules through 4000 series wireless and they sounded very good. But it was a quiet stage, so I cannot comment on the 4100s' wash rejection, which is a big problem with most of the better sounding capsules I've used (KMS105, VX10, AE5400, PR22, KSM9.)

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I know about the 2012 thing and how it's still unlcear as to what will happen, but the fact remains I have a show next Sunday and need three decent mics. They have to be wireless because some of the acts will be twirling etc.

I've read up plenty and bought a Beta87A wireless in the end, which I got for a good deal.

The rear lobe was one of the concerning things, but usually I'll put out a pair of wedges for a lead singer so hopefully that won't be problematic. I'll report back if it's satisfactory/disastrous.

Pete.

Well, I'm shure (sic...sorry) that there are lots of companies who post on here that could sort you out the hire of a decent unit with an 87 head for the day. I'd be happy to help though I'm sure there are lots more local to yourself.

I do look at the old 2012 lark, but I've just bought 12 more units brand new, as they'll pay for themselves, make a profit and keep regular clients from going elsewhere when I say I've run out between now and then.

Archived