complicated patching on yamaha 01V96 v2

pgreg

question:

I got 6 channels of sound and I want to patch them throe to a sound card with 4 inputs.

In more detail - I got five directional mic's and a radio on host in a show with 10 guests, the show is meant to be spontaneous so mixing it live is not the safest way. I'm using a yamaha 01V96 v2 desk and the other end is a blackmagic decklink studio card w 4 'analog sound' inputs - TRS ('big jack'), thats used to record the show so I figured that using stereo as two separate channels it should be possible to send in up to 8 channels of sound from the desk and the mix it in post. So is there a way to output that from the desk? If so any ideas on how to patch that?

Hardware solution would be 4 cables with 4 TRS's on one end and 8 (each one channel) on the other, going into the I/O on the channel.

I'm a location soundie who ended up mixing sound on a studio show, and I cant figure it out based on the manual, so I came here - any ideas?

the other end is a blackmagic decklink studio card w 4 'analog sound' inputs - TRS ('big jack'), thats used to record the show so I figured that using stereo as two separate channels it should be possible to send in up to 8 channels of sound from the desk

Do you know for sure that those inputs are stereo as opposed to balanced mono?

I got five directional mic's and a radio on host in a show with 10 guests, the show is meant to be spontaneous so mixing it live is not the safest way. I'm using a yamaha 01V96 v2 desk and the other end is a blackmagic decklink studio card w 4 'analog sound' inputs - TRS ('big jack'), thats used to record the show so I figured that using stereo as two separate channels it should be possible to send in up to 8 channels of sound from the desk and the mix it in post. So is there a way to output that from the desk? If so any ideas on how to patch that?

Hardware solution would be 4 cables with 4 TRS's on one end and 8 (each one channel) on the other, going into the I/O on the channel.

Those are not stereo channels. You have 4 available inputs to the computer. That is all the tracks you will be able to record at once. Since you will not be able to isolate all the mics to their own channel I would isolate the host, have all the guests on 1 or 2 tracks, and do a live mix to the last track. If there is an audience involved I would put the audience reaction mics on the 4th channel instead of a live mix.

There are 4 balanced TRS output jacks on the 01v96, and you need to route 4 groups to them in the output patch menu on the desk. You then need to assign your inputs to the appropriate groups to get them into the computer the way you want. These processes are explained pretty well in the downloadable manual.

Mac

I would isolate the host, have all the guests on 1 or 2 tracks, and do a live mix to the last track.

exactly what I did, just tested it and works like a charm; the final layout is 1,2 - guests left and right of the presenter (incl. one that picks up the presenter), 3 - presenters radio, 4 - mix

buying anything more then cables wasn't really an option (tight budget), but I'll advice them to get a card that could pass multichannel - usually they run the whole studio with just 2 ppl, sorting it out in post sounds like a good idea ;]

thanks for the advice mackerr!

Archived