Rear Projection on Gauze

Chris Adam

Hi folks,

Had quick browse in the search, but nothing specifically helped, so, I'm thinking about rear projecting VJ visuals onto a grey sharks tooth gauze and I'm concerned about how much spill I'll get into the other side. My main issue is the other side is the main room in a very large nightclub, which we like to keep quite dark and undergroundy (new word). My projection surface is around 12m wide by 5m tall.

I intend the visuals to be matched to the LX colours, or some abstract footage, so these could be made dark as well.

Good thing is I'm getting to borrow a projector to try this out in a few weeks before we go out and purchase one, but I just wanted to bounce the idea off the forum first.

Thanks in advance

Chris

If its standard gauze dont bother, the projector will cut straight through it and blind everyone infront. If its a filled gauze, you might be able to do it, there will still be a noticeable 'hot spot' on it though.

There are ways and means to do this...

the main point is that you get a lot of spill though the screen - this is a feature of gauze and you can use it to your advantage if your selective about the kind of content you project. (High contrast abstract graphics with large areas of black work nicely as the bright colorful parts spill though and can be seen hitting the walls of the venue).

If you want to maximize the effect of spill hitting the walls without blinding people you need 2 projectors - you cross project at as steep and angle as possible so that the spill goes though onto the walls rather than hitting people in the eyes. You need projectors with as much horizontal keystone as possible (even then you will find that the image is not square - doesn't matter too much if you stick to abstract visuals) If you have a media server or decent VJ software you can soft keystone upstream of the projectors which will let you get the images the right shape in-spite of the extreme angle. You loose some image quality with this kind of processing but nobody will notice as your projecting onto a gauze.

The Light Surgeons are masters of this gauze technique, taking it a good deal further by using multiple projectors both front and rear projecting onto gauze with additional lighting and traditional projection screens integrated to create a multilayered visual performance.

It is not for the faint hearted though and requires a commitment to the slightly wacky nature of gauze - if you expect squared up high quality images you'll be disappointed.

very interesting. The visuals you've described are exactly the kind of thing I had in mind, using the bright content as an effect. Ideally I want to match a good deal of it to the club lighting, ie if the club lights are green with a circle gobo, so will the footage be, but the background will almost always be black.

The way I like my clubs to be lit is to have all of the wash fixtures on UV with the intesity fairly low, and the spot movers always in a gobo, with a colour to match the mood of the song.

To describe the situation a bit better, the projector will be sat at the rear of our 1.8metre high stage, which would mean that the bottom of the image would be almost at eye line, but the main part of the image will be above head height. Not sure if that makes much of a difference as (from what I'm working out, but could be making this up) the image will mainly be firing upwards reducing the amount it hits people's eyes.

If the test goes well, we'd be doing this properly. Visuals would be made and run from Arkaos and would be linked with DMX to our pearl.

The only issue I see, and it's not a logistics one, is that our lampie is on the balcony of the venue, and the DJ is on the floor at the other end of the venue in a purpose built booth. Usually we just see what the DJ plays before we choose what colours / chase speed etc, so cueing up visuals could take a bit longer. I like a challenge though.

Thank you for your replies.

Archived