Choice of Speaker Advice?

MisterJames

Hello,

Im a performing arts tech for a secondary school... im looking at purchasing a PA system for myself but I will also take it in for the school shows and concerts they put on.

Im looking at buying 4 high/mid speakers and then getting bass bins (subwoofers) if needed. I currently have a behringer mixer (SX2442FX)

Ive seen some W-Audio PSR 12A Active 12" at 350watts rms 300w low/mid 50w high... Now im keen on these there a damn good price 1000 for 4.. ahha that good for me. Does anyone know if these are bass'y and have a good kick, chest feel to them and also have a good quality high voice coil? Plus are they good in general!

Now I would LOVE! Mackie SRM450 V2 but there very expensive and I would need 4 to cover the hall (500 people when full) thats 2100 pounds!

Sorry it long winded.

Advice welcome

Cheers Guys!

James

Hi James.

I have no experience of the W Audio speakers but they do look cheap - really cheap! :D

I don't know exactly what you hope to achieve with these speakers but a few years ago we managed to do gigs to around 500 people seated in a room with a pair of the 450s.

Get them up high and coverage should be fine - (The 450 Hozt dispersion is 90 deg, compared with 80 deg on the others)

Rather than have 4 tops I would go for 2 tops and 2 subs, just 2 tops to start with, and I would get the better ones!

The Mackie price you quote seems a tad high when I've just seen them at £880pp inc free stands! Click here!

If I wanted to spend a grand, from the little you've said I'd buy some 450s with stand and save the £120 towards some subs or cables etc.

HTH

Andy

EDIT: Fix link!

In my old secondary school, we have a Full Mackie PA system (2 x Mackie SRM350, 2 x Mackie SRM450, and 2 x Mackie SWA1500) The old music teacher/head tech also had an identical system. At times we would use just 2 SRM450 for the entire room (350 people). I have to say I recomend the SRM450's (I havent had a play with the new version though, but have heard they are ment to be realy good)

Regards

Tom G

I wouldn't touch wharfdale pro (or not pro) with somebody elses barge pole... They are crappy speakers pretending to be good, and sometimes priced accordingly. I would recommend the W-Audio, as they are fairly cheap and pretty reasonable. They are not the lightest of powered speakers, and the 12's won't give you the best bass response.

However there is a powered (600w) 15" Sub that would go with the 12" tops nicely.

You probably do want 4 speakers to give you good coverage, and it is good to see someone who recognises this!!!

Whilst this is hardly the worlds greatest PA system, it should be pretty loud, and fairly robust.

P.

Cheers everyone!

Im not keen on whalfedale at all... ive gone off there products since I heard there loudspeakers. disappoint but I do have there bookshelf speakers which arent bad but there very old.

Mackie - most of you recommend these. but at my previous school we had some SRM450 V1's they were great we had 4 but they two couldnt cover a whole hall full of people and if we pushed them.. we'd either pop the voice coil or over heat them. BUT! they are now 7 years old and from what ive heard to going today!

Hello,

Im a performing arts tech for a secondary school... im looking at purchasing a PA system for myself but I will also take it in for the school shows and concerts they put on.

Im looking at buying 4 high/mid speakers and then getting bass bins (subwoofers) if needed. I currently have a behringer mixer (SX2442FX)

Leaving the school usage aside, what type of usage and events will you be using the system for? (that you will earn money from) If you will be receiving hire income from taking the system in to school, that's fair enough, but if not, then the school requirements shouldn't really be the basis for speccing a system that you will be purchasing personally.

You could of course turn this on its head and hire a selection of different systems for the school shows and concerts that you tech, giving you the opportunity to see which boxes you like and using this experience to influence a later personal purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
"Leaving the school usage aside, what type of usage and events will you be using the system for? (that you will earn money from) If you will be receiving hire income from taking the system in to school, that's fair enough, but if not, then the school requirements shouldn't really be the basis for speccing a system that you will be purchasing personally."

I would have to agree.

Putting this aside for a moment, why would you need 4? 2 SRM 450 set up correctly and raised to a good height (LF driver slightly above heads of dancers/audience) should be more than adequate for the school production, its not like you are pumping vocals of high school musical at 125dB + ?

2 should do the school aspect of things and im sure if you need more, 2 subs to add to this system would push a good amount of sound out.

Regards,

Toby

Archived