Static mixing wash lanterns

BenHowitt

Hi all,

For the school production of Guys and Dolls this year, the director is after some uplit skyscrapers, that will be washed suring the hot box scenes with various colours. My question is this; Are there static cym or rgb mixing lanterns that would fit into the base of an approx. 1-1.5m flat? Or generally, what are peoples thoughts on stage mounted washes/mixers?

Thanks, and if the question is a bit unclear, apologies, feel free to pick me up on it,

Ben Howitt

Hi Ben,

Knowing the other dimensions of your flats (height, and how much space is available behind) would help. Also, what sort of incident lighting will there be on the flats when this effect is used? How bright do your uplighters need to be?

One other thought - are you looking to light the front of the flat, or are you looking to illuminate window cutouts in the flat (which will presumably covered with a diffusion material)?

There are lots of options out there - the best way to start would be to look at your regular/ local hire company's catalogue, and see what they stock. If nothing seems suitable, then start casting the net wider.

James Thomas Pixelline is one candidate which is widely stocked.

Also, if you can get the distance, the £35 (purchase price) LED PARs from Thomann can do this well - I saw a nice production of Hot Mikado using them for something similar.

There are some large CMY washlights (e.g. Studio Due CityColor) but these are probably overkill for most theatres.

Cheers,

Tom

First point - you dont mix CMY as CMY is usually subtracted from a white light source (like in a moving head) rather than RGB which is additive and adds onto black.

Can you just use some floods or similar with gels in at the bottom like you're lighting a cyc? I've personally used a ground row using several blocks of 4 codas with a variety of colours in for a few shows before which has worked well when both uplighting a cyc or flats. They are a bit larger than LED fixtures though!

Maybe something like a Chroma Q Color block if you want a more compact solution / LED solution?

Also, if you can get the distance, the £35 (purchase price) LED PARs from Thomann can do this well - I saw a nice production of Hot Mikado using them for something similar.

A word of caution about el-cheapo LED PAR's. I bought some of the first cheap ones from Thomann, which use 5mm LEDs (I think the cheap ones still do) and you would get more from a row of candles on a theatre stage, bearing in mind you will have plenty of other light to compete with. :D

I would imagine you will get away with 10mm LEDs, especially if you could pair them up :D

There's also 10mm LED panels available that would probably be ideal for what you want.

Here's some ideas: (OK aimed at DJs etc but still.....)

One from CPC

Another from CPC

And another from CPC

Have a search for "LEDJ" on CPC for the full range. Other suppliers are also around ;)

Could be a cheap way to get a reasonable effect :huh:

Simon

A word of caution about el-cheapo LED PAR's. I bought some of the first cheap ones from Thomann, which use 5mm LEDs (I think the cheap ones still do) and you would get more from a row of candles on a theatre stage, bearing in mind you will have plenty of other light to compete with. :D

I would imagine you will get away with 10mm LEDs, especially if you could pair them up :D

There's also 10mm LED panels available that would probably be ideal for what you want.

Here's some ideas: (OK aimed at DJs etc but still.....)

One from CPC

Another from CPC

And another from CPC

Have a search for "LEDJ" on CPC for the full range. Other suppliers are also around ;)

Could be a cheap way to get a reasonable effect :huh:

Simon

The LEDJ flood on your first link are not so much floods, we have six at college and they prouduce more of a small area of light like a pin spot!!! They are not as bright as the expensive LED lights but you get what you pay for ;)

Hope that helps

Michael

The LEDJ flood on your first link are not so much floods, we have six at college and they prouduce more of a small area of light like a pin spot!!! They are not as bright as the expensive LED lights but you get what you pay for :D

Hope that helps

Michael

But, LEDJ do a Stratos Wash, which is available in a Spot or Flood. I have the Flood, which has 120degree throw and is very even and very bright and would work in the context you describe, I reckon.

As with all of the cheaper LED units, the dimmer curve towards the bottom end isn't great, but with mine it's just a question of making a profile so it does nothing at the very bottom end and then moves relatively quickly over the low values.

James

Just to throw an alternative idea into the mix, you might be able to get hold of, and fit into the smaller voids inside the flattage, some Cyco washes from martin- I know they're not so popular, but they are silent, and can provide very simple colour mixing with repeatable outputs no matter how old the fixtures. Martin Cyclo range

Then again, should you have the space, you might get a more brilliant effect from LED if not so controllable at darker levels.

Andy

Just to throw an alternative idea into the mix, you might be able to get hold of, and fit into the smaller voids inside the flattage, some Cyco washes from martin- I know they're not so popular, but they are silent, and can provide very simple colour mixing with repeatable outputs no matter how old the fixtures.

Until recently I had a load of the architectural versions of these which are now part of a permanent (and somewhat quirky) architectual install however they got a fair bit of use in a theatrical (small local venue) environment and they were pretty good with a few (notable) caveats;

You wont get a vivid red out of them, it's pink at best.

They don't work well at low levels and can be a bit uneven as they warm up

Also, the tubes do change colour slightly as they age - but not too noticeably

If you are using these lights then, if you can get away with it, keep them "preheated" at about 2% or so, the output will be almost unnoticeable, but they'll respond much quicker when you do need them.

imho the Cyclos are very underrated products, Anytronics make a similar range under the "Anycolour" brand which I believe are very similar and probably well worth a look..

Archived