Barco CLM HD8

Joe Bleasdale

The HD8k and CLM are two different styles of unit - 3Chip Xenon Lamp versus the Barco Single chip Quad Metal Halide lamp system. As such the typical list rates of the Barco are cheaper than the Christie, so represent the lower cost of ownership.

When we made the decision to go down the barco route, it was a decision taken on both image quality as well as support, other rental stock in the area and other factors. A decision that has served us well, and very happy I went the route I did. Would I consider Christie in the future? Definitely, but if they want us to buy their kit then they need to make a bit of an effort.

[/defensiveness!!]

Sorry Pete - I didn't mean to imply that the CLM is a bad machine persay or indeed that your not a nice bunch of folks either!!

For my money the single chip factor is the biggest problem with the barco - but I'm ultra sensitive to the rainbow / colour delay issue and glimpse it occasionally on the CLM range (I know that most people apparently don't see it though and that the Barco CLM is the best single chipper that I've ever used). The Christie being a 3 chip doesn't suffer from rainbow so wins every time in my eyes, it is a bit more costly but worth it IMHO.

And absolutely no offence taken. I just thought I'd outline the differences for those that use the blueroom to brush up on their opinions and spec.

I'm fairly sensitive to rainbow effect too, and that was what threw the decision for me when I first saw the CLM for the first time- that it was much lower than any other single chipper I'd seen. When we decide to go to the next level (probably around the 15-20K HD size it'll definately be a re-evalution of what's out there, and seeing which manufacturers can be bothered to come and demo to us.

Archived