VL Series 300 questions

gdavey

Hi there,

I'm looking to hire 10 VL5s and 10 VL6C+ for a show that I'm doing in December. Now I have been on the training course for this stuff (a long time ago though), but I don't think the VL6C+ was around then. The VL5s aren't an issue. I'm using the tungsten ones so no fuss.

My question is, what is the best way to power the VL6C+. Obviously a large APS rack is probably going to be overkill, and I don't think I have the power requirements for one anyway. What other options do I have? I have tried really hard to get someone at PRG to give me some info but no one seems to know. I'm sure I remember seeing some smaller racks (maybe 6 ways each?) at some point. Also, what power do the smaller units require? I have 1 63A 3 phase and 5 63A single phase sockets.

Please help. Someone must know.

Cheers

Guy

PS Does anyone know the real name of an "up your bum cable"?

Firstly I think 'up ya bum' is actually called an 'up ya bum' - at least thats what I've always asked for. Obviously if you want to use 'up ya bum' then you'll have to have your APS racks built to spec so that the 6th slot has a standard trip module inserted instead of the series 300 module.

Not quite sure what you mean by "large APS rack" being overkill? As far as I remember you can either get them in blocks of 6 in 3U-ish size or in a grey fluffy chest on wheels. You don't seem to understand how the system works? The box itself is an empty frame with a main power input P/LOC in the bottom, into which the necessary number of modules are inserted as per the individual spec. So you may have a full size rack but it may only have 12 active modules in it (with a few spares) the rest of the space would be blanking plates or empty.

PRG still employ some of the original Greenford crew in the warehouse in Brum, they are brilliant at this sort of thing.

It seems to me you just need to tell the account handler that you want to power the module from 63/3 (more than enough for 10 lights) and you want to UYB the 6th hole on each repeater so the rack should be built to that spec.

PM me for further help and I can put you in touch with my regular handler. Or if you are really lucky Mr Hallett will be along to tell you all this a lot better and clearer than I.

Oh all right. Bait taken.

Unless you did the course before about 1995 (unlikely if you're profile is correct) you'll have done the VL6s, the VL6C+ wires up in the same way. As you'll remember from the course you'll need to keep the VL5s and VL6s on separate smart repeaters - with the VL6C+ going on smart repeater plus units (the same but with a larger low voltage power supply). As an aside do not be tempted to use the DMX terminator switches on the repeater plusses. Regular soca to the VL5 repeaters, APS6 trunk run to the VL6s. You'll know about repeater modes from the course - but pick whatever's appropriate for your desk.

I would try to have 5 lights on each repeater, and an Up Yer Bum (more correctly a "S300 (M) to S200 (F) adaptor - UYB") to supply repeater power. As you will have 3 APS chassis (2 active plus 1 spare) you might as well have them in a Mod Rack and feed from a 63A 3ph to powerlock adaptor. However, if you need to get the gear upstairs or are otherwise space restricted you can have them in individual cases. You will then want to have 3 x 63A 1ph (M) to Epic (F) adaptor - 1 for each module. As a rough rule of thumb a VL6 pulls about 6A (or 2A / ph), so you're well within the power required. As mentioned you'll also need some switch plates.

It's worth mentioning that the VL6 APS are not good on harmonics - so you will have significant neutral current. Not huge - just significant. You should also make sure that you have RCD protected distribution in the supply somewhere (either as part of the feed or brought in by you) as the mod racks are not RCD protected in any way.

Obviously there's always the option to get a tech in for the load in day to make sure it all goes together as planned and then leave you with it - but that may not be within your budget.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Yes pedants I know it's possible to run VL5 and VL6 on the same repeater - but it's not appropriate here, and to be honest it rarely is. :-)

P.P.S. And yes I know a VL6 doesn't really pull 2A / phase - but when you're totting up what feed you need for 35 lights it's a useful estimate.

Having not used any VL S300 kit for ... errr ... well, it's been a long time (!), could you just clarify something for me to satisfy my curiosity, Dave? I'm guessing an 'up yer bum' cable is used to link the 6th output of a repeater to the power inlet, thereby allowing it to be powered from the sixth way of the trunk run? I *did* do the S300 course before 1995 (:band:), so perhaps that particular methodology of powering repeaters wasn't around at that time (or perhaps the Greenford chaps just kept it to themselves and didn't let the 'great unwashed' in on their little secret! :band:).

I'm guessing an 'up yer bum' cable is used to link the 6th output of a repeater to the power inlet, thereby allowing it to be powered from the sixth way of the trunk run?

That's right. It was first used with VL5s as it's pretty easy to patch hard power to those ways on the dimmer, so just a soca and DMX to each repeater. Then an innovative young tech (not me I hasten to add) worked out which ways to join together with a breaker to achieve the same thing in a Mod rack.

It was unofficial with VL6s for a long time, but as far as I know the bits are now approved.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Just in case any one is interested here is what I have gone with:

a 63 3 phase to 2 x 32A 3 phase distro

2 x 32A 3 phase to EPIC adapters

2 x 6 way Power packs with switch plates in way 6

2 x Smart Repeater pluses for VL6C+

Just standard smart repeaters for the VL5s.

Cheers

Guy

Archived