Buzzing From Computer??

andrewg112

Hi,

Weve got a cd running from a laptop into a new surround soud system but any time the jack is plugged into the laptop we get a constant buzz. Its reasonably loud and is not the normal amp buzzing quiet sound. There are suggestons that it might be the earth loop.... Any Ideas very welcome!

Thanks,

Andy :blink:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably a ground loop hum, caused as said above by the laptop's power supply.

Do you have anything else plugged into the laptop, for example a USB mouse?

If not, sometimes a fix can be plugging in a USB device

yes, the noise stops with the power off. but I cant turn the power off and have the music playing at the same time...

I think Dan was suggesting unplugging the laptop's PSU, not turning the laptop off. If it can reliably run on batteries for however long you need to play the CD for, that's the easiest solution. (Although surely a CD player would be even easier?!)

As others have said, it's almost certainly a ground loop. This is very common with laptops; a quick search of this forum should turn up dozens of threads with the various ways around it.

I have had this problem many times and have worked out that laptops with the 3 pin cable causes an earth loop whereas the power adaptors with the figure 8 2pin lead don't have this problem ,

use a ground loop issolator and your problem will be sorted.

:blink:

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Audio/Noise_Suppressor/ground_loop_isolator.jpg

My Dell is exactly the same. A DI box works fine to remove it. As long as my dell says there is 90 mins of battery life or more left, it will run for ten minutes, so ok for emergencies.

Sadly - we do this topic every couple of months, but Dell never seem to change - even when the new PSUs appear on new models.

Laptops HP... but it also does the same with Acer. Im not sure how the system is all put together, as I had nothing to do with it but I think one of these will fit somewhere. is should even though I have a jack to put the sound through the amp... right??

Thanks,

Andy

I've seen a few power supplies branded 'Kensington' (I think Misco, Maplin and Tescos sell them amongst others) and it has a figure 8 connection to the power, ie the ground pin isn't connected. That should get rid of the hum. I had the same problem and, as was mentioned a bit further up, I used a DI with a ground lift to cure the problem.

Archived