USB Go Button Remotes..

lewisfowler

Has anyone seen a USB Go Button remote available for sale around?

After some searching around I've not found anything online, so was leaning towards making a trip down to Maplins and building one out of a dismantled USB Keypad or similar but I'd prefer to purchase if possible..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My experience with QLab (although I'm still running V1) is that MIDI and joystick/gamepad commands are still followed when the application window isn't in focus - but obviously keyboard commands are lost then. I would recommend getting a USB gamepad and taking that apart rather than a keyboard, as a keyboard doesn't have individual contacts under each key anyway (it's based on a grid between two contacts) so they end up being a pig to wire. Best bet would be to get a Maplin project box, a USB gamepad, and get cutting. You can use the Neutrik panel-mount USB sockets to make a neat job of the cable.

Personally I'm using a MIDISolutions F8 to trigger via MIDI with an open contact switchbox, but only because it runs better over distance, and there's the possibility to split the MIDI for a backup system as well.

Orbital Sound make and sell an 8-button USB remote. Its a variation on the 4 and 8 button remotes used by Orbital and Autograph to trigger G-Type and CSC on numerous West End and Touring shows.

The man to talk to is Tom Byrne, Head of Sales, and Orbitals number is 0207 501 6868. To check compatability with QLab, talk to Richard Carter, same contact details.

Hope that helps.

As long as you don't touch your pc once it's running the cue list, you could do what I do and hack open a mouse. Just solder to the left button contacts and leave your cursor (positioned with another mouse - which you'll still need for navigating to the application and other housekeeping) over the "go" button. I've also built one using a keyboard innards and have provided "enter" and all the F keys on big arcade-type buttons. I use this one specificaly for triggering multiplay.

It's really easy to do and if you haven't already got a donor mouse, might cost you 15 quid.

Mine have been so reliable, and you can build variants using relays so an automated effect can trigger your pc, or even a DMX relay.

As the meercat would say "simples".

Thanks guys!

I'll give Orbital a call and ask.. Annoyingly I was only down there a few months ago and didn't think to ask.

I've used my phone to operate before via a vnc tunnel, but thats not something I'd like to do during a show, I'll stick with a good old fashioned cable based approach for now.

I still might build my own though, maybe using a Big Red Button.

Orbital Sound make and sell an 8-button USB remote. Its a variation on the 4 and 8 button remotes used by Orbital and Autograph to trigger G-Type and CSC on numerous West End and Touring shows.

Don't know if it's the same product, but on the past two shows I've had kit from Stage Sound in Cardiff, the 8 Button USB remote has been an X-Keys variant, so I understand it. I've had Qlab and SFX systems, both with the same remote. You just have to set up in preferences the trigger key combinations that run the show. (If I remember the remote does something along the lines of CTRL + ALT + G , so you can't accidentally type something and trigger the show.)

It's not quite as tidy as simply plugging the button into the usb port, there is an interface box that does all the clever X-keys converting. GIve them a call and ask them. I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Neil

I'd forgotten - I have a Frontier AlphaTrack which does provide a USB connected go button. And a load of other stuff too. Comes out in the PC as MIDI, so theres no copnfusion with anything else going on.

May be a bit OTT for a one button remote, but thats essentially how I use the thing most of the time...

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/40201_l.jpg

• 1 year later...
Just to add something to this topic - we've just bought some of the Korg Nanopads as a really cheap USB interface, which appears directly as MIDI so doesn't require any key mapping or similar, and gives you 12 touch buttons for less than £30. I'm looking at taking them apart to make a switch interface / box them up a bit more robustly.

Archived