Thing You wish someone had told you when you were young / Younger

alex_kyuss

Hello All,

Every now and again I think "I wish someone had told me this a few years ago". So I thought maybe a list of things you need to know in your chosen field wouldn't be a bad thing for people that are choosing there A-levels / GCSE's. Heres my ideas I think If you want to be a system tech on the big audio tours really knowing your computer networking will help miles with managed switches being common place on all arena tours.

cheers

Be adaptable in your approach to a career, when I left school I wanted to be a Graphic Designer, I did an HND in graphics before realising work was hard to come by, so I went back did an electrical engineering degree, the relevant C&G certificates to be an electrician and a PGCE (teachers certificate) simultaniously thus I kept my options wide open, since graduating I've worked pretty much non stop as an electrician, but also been a D&T master in a boarding school for a couple of years and now teach design & electrics part time at the local college as well as of course mucking in with a lot of lighting. I would strongly advise anyone doing a degree to do a cert.ed or PGCE as well, it is a bolt on available to most courses and teaching can offer you work in your field that is not only enjoyable but can be part time to help fund your other interests.

If you're going to do tequila slammers to celebrate a succesful first night use ginger ale and not champagne for the fizzy part. That way there is less chance of being sick down your nose a short while later.

Oh and listen to the guys who have been doing the job for a while, they're sometimes pretty helpful.

Another thought just occoured

Theres a song from a few years back by Aussie film director Baz Lurman and in it is the line "The race in life is long- but ultimately you only race against yourself"

Well I went to a large private boarding school, quite idyllic really, but I never fitted in really, my classmates were being groomed for oxbridge, medicine, the bar - and me I liked woodwork, metalwork, stage lighting. So they went to oxford & cambridge whilst I ended up a Cardiff Institute. Somehow I felt I'd failed, underachieved, so I was a little trepadacious about going to a reunion recently, I shouldn't have been. They were all very pleasent, some enjoying being accountants and lawers, some not - but I left happy with my lot, I wouldn't want their life - nor should I have to aspire to it. I think what Mr lurman means is you have to set your own goals, do your best, and don't worry about how well others are doing or making out they are doing.

No matter what your peers tell you while at school, you do need to work hard. That hard work will be nothing like as hard as it will be to make up the shortfall later in life if you don't.

To expand on this, don't always put 100% faith in the direction the school is pushing you in.

<Rant/Life Story>From the age of about 5 the education system will have given you a predicted grade that you are supposed to have achieved by the time you leave school. I was an average student but also had a strengths in music, physics and technology so was always in the top classes because of my overall grades. All the way through secondary school we were told about university and getting a degree to the point of been brainwashed and not questioning it. 6th form wasn't easy and looking back it was obvious to see that I wasn't academic but I went with the flow and off to uni I went. I learnt very little in my year at uni (electric/electronic engineering) and by January had decided it was not working but since it was already paid for I might as well carry on with the experience and use the time to make a decision what I was going to do. As the results came in it was pretty obvious that I was very strong at practical (96% over the year) but rubbish at theory that didn't relate to anything I could actually touch (5% on fluid mechanics theory, a very dry subject IMO :mellow: ). Not able to face more studying and self confidence at a low I went off to get a job and was soon back on my feet and earning a living with computers</rant>

If someone had actually given me an option or even made me aware that modern apprenticeships existed I would be a qualified electrician by now. Probably would still be in the same line of work as I am now six year later but at least I would have more than just my A levels and not waisted a year at uni.

I am not saying ignore your teachers though, they have a lot of experience and will help you but it is worth stepping back and looking at what you want to do as the path set out by the schools predictions may not actually reflect your interests or true abilities.

Another thought just occoured

(Snip)

I think what Mr lurman means is you have to set your own goals, do your best, and don't worry about how well others are doing or making out they are doing.

Mary Schmich Actually. However, Whoever you credit that (quite frankly) wonderful line to, the Sunscreen Speech, is absolutely full of gems...... I can thoroughly recommend studying that speech, and

is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!

Edit to add: Check my signature!!!!!!!

While you are at it, check out Andrew C's!!!!!

Jim

"I wish someone had told me this a few years ago". So I thought maybe a list of things you need to know.

Something that may have saved me some time was "No matter how long you wait, Emily Brough is not going to go out with you."

However, on a more serious note, the best technicians that I have worked for and with are the ones who have had great people skills along side great technical knowledge. So my advice is try and develop your life experience and your abilities to deal with people well while also dealing with your technical direction.

If you get the opportunity to work with the pros. ALWAYS ask if you don't understand what your being asked to do. Even if its only slightly unclear in your mind. Because I can assure you, they will be a lot more impressed, if you ask for help, then get on with the job and do it right, than if you keep your mouth shut because you don't want them to know you don't understand, and then spend 20 minutes doing something totally wrong. Which then takes another 20 minutes to correct. Most people you come across will be happy to stop and explain to you.

Jamie.

Archived