Allen & Heath Mix Wizard Issue

fatfrog

Hi,

My Allen & Heath Mix Wizard3 16:2 has developed a strange issue where by one side of the Master outs is slightly louder than the other side.

I have checked this by passing a mono signal through one channel with both output faders set exactly the same. The output meters are exactly the same and on the next device of the signal chain the output is off by one bar on the eq. I have swapped out every component in the chain and the problem is definitely with the desk.

I am considering shipping the desk off to Allen & Heath for a full service as it's a few years old and could probably do with it at this stage.

However just wondering if anyone has heard of this issue before and has any ideas. I have been doing some research online and have came to the conclusion that the weakest parts of these desks is the IDE style cable connecting the main surface and the I/O Panel.

Thanks,

Alan

And if you swop the L & R XLR cables coming out of the mixer the 'loud' channel is also transposed to the other side?

Very rare to get any ribbon cable problems with the Mix Wizard (it isn't a Mackie) - so also check the relative levels coming out of the L & R insert jack sockets - are these equal in level?

If you are certain you have a problem with the mixer - contact the nearest A&H Service centre to you (see A&H Web site for full details) - they will be able to sort it out quickly.

Hi,

Yes the problem is swapped to the other side of the PA if you reverse the L & R output leads.

I will check the insert points tomorrow to see what is happening. This desk was bought second hand which might be the problem.

I have opened up the desk and have reseated all the ribbon cables to no avail. I have ran the main outs into my Pro Tools setup to measure the levels coming out. The weird thing is that as the main faders are pushed up the difference between the channels is increased. This has lead me to think perhaps there was a repair done without using an original Allen & Heath fader??? I shall also check if the leads coming off the fader pcb are connected securely as I have heard loose connectors here can have weird results.

The only thing I noticed whilst inside the desk was that there was electrical tape across the underside of the fx PCB where the ribbon cable for the main pcb are resting - I presume this is for the protection of the PCB or does this not sound right. I'll get a pic up tomorrow.

Other than that I'll send the desk back to A&H for a full service as it's had a busy life anyways and prob could do with a few channel faders replaced anyways.

Thanks for all your advice so far,

Alan

Hi Rob,

I'll give that a shot and see - At least if that works out I'll have a fully working desk again. But I think I'll send the desk off for a full service anyways in a few weeks time when things quieten down a bit.

did you say you have stuff in the LR inserts? I often find those chains to be the cause of the problem, so take the insert jacks out and see. otherwise, check the bus and fader connectors as mentioned above.

Nope - I don't have anything in the inserts but I was told that I should try to measure the levels via the insert jacks as it'd give me an idea as to where the issue is. Such as if it's fine at the insert points it's deffo inside the I/O panel part.

Anyways, I'll have another fiddle with it later and see how I get on. Saying that I think it just needs a good looking at by a service tech!

Alan

Archived