Speakers light up?

munkygunn

Hi,

I do very occasional sound for singers in pubs etc, nothing special. I run a pair of JBL JRX100's which are marked to take an amp between 250w and 500w, so I use a 500w amp, all impedances etc match up fine, but when the amp is running at more than about 2/3's on the VU meters, something inside the speakers lights up, is this energy dissapation, protection, or damaging?

Cheers

Craig

Hi,

I do very occasional sound for singers in pubs etc, nothing special. I run a pair of JBL JRX100's which are marked to take an amp between 250w and 500w, so I use a 500w amp, all impedances etc match up fine, but when the amp is running at more than about 2/3's on the VU meters, something inside the speakers lights up, is this energy dissapation, protection, or damaging?

Cheers

Craig

Lower end JBL products use a lamp for high-frequency protection, so it's nothing to worry about.

Hi,

Cheers

Craig

Lower end JBL products use a lamp for high-frequency protection, so it's nothing to worry about.

Higher end ones do too. As said. Nothing to worry about but do be aware of why it's doing it, you're putting more power in than the manufacturer wants you to.

It might be that you're clipping the amp, the limiter lamp usually only protects the tweeter and this often soaks up more than its share of power if clipped. If you're not careful, you'll blow the lamp and the tweeter will cease to play.

But as previously said, you're just playing it too loud.

Archived