Amp servicing

Nick LX

Hi,

I need to get one of these serviced: "THE T.AMP TA2400 MK-X" but have no clue as to where might do it. I live in south west london so around there would be helpful. Unfortunately Thomann support aren't that helpful with this.

Cheers

I take it the amp is out of warranty, and has a fault?

A good clean out and a good check over to ensure components are visually acceptable (nothing burnt) and ensuring the amps cooling system does the job efficiently should be all it needs. (Unless there IS a fault you haven't mentioned).

I take it the amp is out of warranty, and has a fault?

A good clean out and a good check over to ensure components are visually acceptable (nothing burnt) and ensuring the amps cooling system does the job efficiently should be all it needs. (Unless there IS a fault you haven't mentioned).

Yes and will try what you say. When the amp is turned up to high power and plays an iPod for about an hour or so, quite loud, but way below clipping levels of the amp, there is a loud buzz when there is nothing playing. Note that this is only when the amp has been on for an hour or so. Also The buzz sounds like when you touch the bear end of a jack just is very loud.

Cheers

OK buzzing on the T amp is caused by one of 2 things.

The usual thing is that the bias pot is wandering, this removes bias in some situations which, in this design, causes spurious oscillation of the output module. Replacing the bias pot with a better one and resetting it (signal generator and scope needed here) will cure it. This can be diagnosed by looking at the speaker terminals with the scope (no signal connected) and noting the square/trapezoid waveform that comes out.

The other thing that causes buzz is that the wire-ended bridge rectifier terminals spark internally. It is caused because the whole power supply pcb is hung off the bridge rectifiers which weaken and break the connections internally. The PSU board will have to come out, the outer rectifiers replaced, and then refitted, putting the extra pins in the inner two rectifiers to add extra strength to the design. This may also be temperature dependent and is sometimes temporarily 'cleared' by switching the power off, waiting for the 'fault' lights to extinguish, then turning on again; the inrush sometimes welding the connections for a few hours.

When the amp is turned up to high power and plays an iPod for about an hour or so, quite loud, but way below clipping levels of the amp, there is a loud buzz when there is nothing playing.

I experienced this problem with 2 of these amps. It did not replicate the fault with a different Ipod.

Well there's clearly a pattern here. Stop connecting ipods to them and they'll be fine :D

Shez (not an apple fan)

Archived