Which of these speakers?

Noodle650

Hi there am upgrading from my two ancient Gemini GSM 3055s which im sick of for live sound as they are DJ speakers!

my Subs are Tapco by Mackie 6918s's and I want to upgrade to either of the following

The Tapco 6925 http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-TAP6925.html at €405

or the Tapco 6915 http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-s...-speaker--40080 at €430

either way I want 1200W RMS so with the 6915's I will eventually have a daisy chain on L and R.

Bear in mind the speakers will be stood on the subs for all gigs.

I would just like some input as to which would be best,

I am also open to suggestions...

Thanks

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

edit: my subs are 450W RMS each so thats 900w RMS so I was hoping to have 2 x 600w RMS mid/highs, thats a total of 2.1kw RMS im hoping for as its just about right with the current system thats in there

If the tops are going to be sitting on the subs I'd recomend 6925 just so your tweeters are at something close to a decent height... Although when using a 6925 you'll find that yours single little sub just wont be able to keep up.

What kind of venues, how many punters and what kind of music are you using it for?

either way I want 1200W RMS

why?

my subs are 450W RMS each so thats 900w RMS so I was hoping to have 2 x 600w RMS mid/highs, thats a total of 2.1kw RMS im hoping for as its just about right with the current system thats in there

how loud are your subs?

if for one moment we assume all boxes are of the same efficiency @ 1w/1m, then your system will be top heavy.

If, as is often the case, the mid/highs are more efficient than the subs, then your system will be VERY top heavy and you will end up wanting to double up on the bottom end.

my top amp output is 2x 750w rms @ 8 omhs and my sub amp output is 2 x 500w rms @ 8 omhs

once the calculations have been done with the size venue I get 1200w this is relevent to the W/square metre.

the system is also used for small/medium outdoor gigs.

Bear in mind my subs have 18" cones which allows them to push sooo much air, when compared to my mates 15" DB 800w (active I might add) it just killed it on full power

The 2 subs specs are as follows

Frequency Response:35Hz - 220Hz

Impedance:8 ohm

Power Handling:(continuous)450W

Power Handling:(program) 900W

Sensitivity:(1W/1m)98dB

Dispersion:(HxV)n/a

once the calculations have been done with the size venue I get 1200w this is relevent to the W/square metre.

what calculations is that then?

and what is "w/square metre", I don't remember being taught that, although my physics may be rusty, being 25+ years ago.

looking at the specs of the boxes, as I suspected, your proposed system will be top heavy.

#6918 ...98db/1w/1m =circa 124db/450w

#6915 ...101db/1w/1m =circa 126db/300w

#6925 ...102db/1w/1m =circa 130db/600w

you could of course always trim the tops, like we do for small setups with one Q-SUB + one Q7 on a stick per side. personally, I'd be looking to double up on the subs.

Watts per square metre, The crowd would be maybe 250 to 300 people and outside too. I eventually plan on haveing 4 of the 6918s's 2 per side daisy chained with each other

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

The music played is all live band use, consists of a full drum kit 2 guitar amps 1 bass amp 3 to 4 vocals and the possibility of a keyboard. all of this will be going through the speakers, that is why I wanted the dual 15" to get that extra bit of eminence,

I think I would go with the Dual 15" cabs on top of two 18" subs per side, giving a total of 1.8kw of sub power and 1.2kw of mid/high power, I think that would be more balanced, to be honest anything would be better than the current setup of my two ancient Gemini GSM 3055s that are about 20 years old!!!

Noodle650,

"loudness" is measured in SPL not Watts. In simple terms, Watts is just the amount of power your gear has to draw to get the desired SPL. In the specs, SPL are quoted in dB.

HTH

Andy

I know that Watts is not a measure of loudness, I never referred to it as that!,

I stated the specs of my subs from Tapco's website in my second post, the subs are 96dB spl

and the 6925's are 102dB spl

edit: I see that ive referred to Watts as power in my last post, accidental and was phrased incorrectly! sorry!

I think the issue here was more this new term "W/ sq M".

The power consumption is important to know so you can match amplifiers and speakers correctly. However in general terms providing you have the corect amplifiers, and are not limited on mains power, then the actual power consumption of the loudspeaker doesn't matter at all.

Having a sub that is 600watts and a top that is 600watts doesn't make it balanced. They may be capable of taking the same input power but if one is more sensitive than the other it will be louder when given the same input power.

It's also worth noting that a sub will become less sensitive at lower frequencies and will need more power to keep up. However, whilst it will need more power to be as loud, it will also handle LESS power at lower frequencies, hence the requirement of doubling up the subs. This should be ok if your amp can handle the impedance of 2 subs per channel.

Rob

Archived