Controlling a fog machine

GraemeJ

Hi - I'm new here and primarily an audio person. Lighting/effects are not my forté, so please be gentle with me :stagecrew: .

I recently purchased a small DMX controller, this one - eBay # 290359416655 - although it seems pretty generic to me and a Google search finds a zillion very similar controllers. Obviously, I bought it to control some lights, but it has a button for a fog machine and it would be very convenient if I could work out how to use it.

There is a standard IEC male socket on the back of the controller, but I'm sure I'm not supposed to plug it direct into the mains - I suspect that would let the magic smoke out of the controller!! In the complete absence of a wiring diagram (I've spent hours looking for one) I'm at a loss to know how it is supposed to be connected?

I have a Martin Magnum 650 fog machine and that has a hard-wired remote control. I took the remote apart and it would seem that I can possibly connect it to the controller. What I don't know - and can't find any information on - is which wires go to which pins?

If anyone has done this, or knows the answer, I'd be very pleased, not to say eternally grateful, to hear from you.

Without seeing the controller (that link won't work as the item has ended), I might assume that, as many cheap controllers do, it would have a low voltage input for powering the controller, and also an IEC connection.

Some fog machines use an IEC connection for connecting the remote control, so by using an IEC > IEC lead, you could connect this lighting controller, instead of the supplied remote.

Hope this helps,

Dave

E2A:

I don't know whether this helps, or whether it is the standard configuration or not :unsure: http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Fog/ctlgfg_RemoteSocket.png

Without seeing the controller (that link won't work as the item has ended), I might assume that, as many cheap controllers do, it would have a low voltage input for powering the controller, and also an IEC connection.

Sorry about that. Here's a picture of one that looks exactly the same as mine - http://bigtang.manufacturer.globalsources....-GetProduct.htm . Most of them look exactly the same, just different shapes and colours for the knobs. I suspect they all come off the same production line :unsure: .

Some fog machines use an IEC connection for connecting the remote control, so by using an IEC > IEC lead, you could connect this lighting controller, instead of the supplied remote.

The remote on my machine is hard-wired. That said, it's pretty heavy duty cabling and I suspect it's carrying mains voltage. The light in the remote is a neon, which would indicate a high voltage.

I took the DMX controller apart (for 75 euro, I'm not worried about the guarantee) and had a look at the circuitry around that area. The IEC socket has three heavy duty connectors and wiring to the PCB. On the PCB itself there's only a few components, including what I assume is a high current/voltage switching transistor - the part number is not legible, so I can't be sure of that - it's undoubtably a very simple bit of circuitry.

I'll have to fire the smoke machine up, measure a few voltages and see if I can learn any more from them.

Oddly enough, although not relevant to the model I have, your picture did, indeed, give me a couple of clues/ideas, so I won't abandon the project just yet ;) .

Archived