Jumping Gobos

David Buffham

This may be a stupid question, but how do you stop gobos jumping in the gate when they initially heat up? You know when the lighting state comes up and the gobo physically moves - really annoying.

We have this problem particularly with Source 4s, and pre-heating the gobo in the previous cue doesn't always work if the previous cues are dark and we can't afford too much intensity on the gobo lantern.

As well as the visual annoyance, the physical movement of the gobo can also cause the gobo indexing to go awol, meaning getting to the lantern for refocus before the next show.

I guess one solution might be to clamp the gobo down in the holder by tightly bending in the three metal bits, but I'm not too keen on this unless there's no other way.....?

Thanks for the ideas.

Pre-heating doesn't always work for me as I can't always run the gobo lights that bright without them being visible in the previous cues. And then they still jump going into their state.

We've got a roll of BlackTak in the office, so that's the obvious solution! Thanks.

David

Guest lightnix
I think I remember something about giving them a "firm but gentle" beating with a hammer on a hard surface, but I've never tried it myself and I don't know if it actually works.

Archived