sound stopping while running Qlab

torch1972

So I am running Qlab version 1 on a Mac Mini for a show then sending the signal to a Presonus Firestudio out to four speakers. I am a big fan of Qlab and never had any problems. However, while run cues from Qlab the sound has stopped then carried on and I am not sure why this could be happening? I have made sure that there no unwanted or other sound programmes running while I am using Qlab. I have made sure the simple rate for Qlab and the Presonus Firestudio is the same.

It seems to happen when we run the longer larger files but the short files are so short I not sure I could tell if it was happening with them. There does not seem to be one point or the same point when the stopping happens.

Does anyone have any advice that could help?

Does anyone have any advice that could help?

I've never come across this myself. Could this be your hard disks going to sleep?

Whatever you should ask this question on the Qlab mailing list here. which is the best place for quick help.

Richard

Co-incidentally, our DSM/LX & Sound 'Go' pusher reported this about 30 minutes ago after the opening number to our studio show. We're running QLab 2, but also on a Mac Mini. I put it down to the Mac Mini being a bit puny and not being able to always deal with large effects. (When I say large, I mean 3 minute wave file).

We're running QLab 2, but also on a Mac Mini. I put it down to the Mac Mini being a bit puny and not being able to always deal with large effects. (When I say large, I mean 3 minute wave file).

QLab has an easier time of running wav or aiff files than compressed files. Long files should always be wav or aiff. I recently did a show with a mini running v2 with many instances of 2 long (6 minute) wav files with many fade cues built in running together. There were no stoppage issues. Running large mp3 files with multiple files running may choke QLab. If you haven't, convert your files to an uncompressed format and try again.

Do you have any resource tracking software to check how much of your mini's capability you are using? iStatMenus works fine for me.

Mac

Might it not be worthwhile upgrading to the latest version of qLab? I seem to recall that the updates fixed a things, as well as offered a massive feature upgrade..

I'm currently running a touring show on qLab 2.x (I forget which, but its the latest as of last month) on my 2yr old Macbook Pro, never had a problem.. touch wood..

Might it not be worthwhile upgrading to the latest version of qLab? I seem to recall that the updates fixed a things, as well as offered a massive feature upgrade..

I'm currently running a touring show on qLab 2.x (I forget which, but its the latest as of last month) on my 2yr old Macbook Pro, never had a problem.. touch wood..

I can not up grade to Version 2 as I would have to get the sound designer to do the sound again and buy the upgrade pro version.

Qlab 2 is still capable of running a typical show without buying the pro version.

I'd check to see if the effects are being pre-buffered before they run. A buffered cue will show with a yellow dot next to it; I believe you can also adjust just how much of the cue is buffered in Preferences.

Qlab 2 is still capable of running a typical show without buying the pro version.

I'd check to see if the effects are being pre-buffered before they run. A buffered cue will show with a yellow dot next to it; I believe you can also adjust just how much of the cue is buffered in Preferences.

Yes but I am running the Mac into Presonus Firestudio then out to 4 four individual speakers so I would need pro for that. Neither does it solve the problem I am having, I would like to solve it.

Archived