WING space/ making use of as little space possible

Backtrack22

Hello all professionals and stagemanagers

I'm currently working on a show which the design hasn't considered wing space.

For the stage management team to manoeuvre furniture and props from the stage area or into the space.

We also do have small areas of the backstage to work with anyway even if the set design is large or small. Has anyone been had/done this situation, and could offer the best advice to overcome this?

For example would a props shelf be better than a props table?

Building platforms with steeldeck, to create storage underneath it and above? Use a fly bar to hang props from?

Would love hear people's stories and how they overcame this in the past.

Many thanks

;)

I guess it all depends on exactly what you're moving around. If your props are limited to a couple of teacups and maybe the odd rug that needs to be rolled up somewhere, then you're not going to have too many problems!

I'm guessing you're dealing with somewhat larger props and maybe scenery? I used to be part of an organisation which did pantomime in a theatre with a minuscule backstage area, stage right having no space for anything whatsoever, and stage left being slightly larger, but not by an awful lot.

We found the key to success was, once we'd figured out where to put all the props/scenery, figuring out where to put all the people. The stage crew were practically choreographed: "John, take that off, put it there, and disappear into that alcove. Fred, grab that, put it there, disappear behind that curtain. When they're out the way, Bill and Geoff can move that incredibly heavy, large object."

Of course, managing the crew is only part of the challenge... getting the cast to stay out of your way might be a different matter!

I work in a venue which has pretty much zero wingspace, and we've developed techniques to make it work for us. In terms of prop storage, get crafty - I get the set boys to build shelves in nooks and crannies behind the set so that I can store props there, put small tables in odd corners where there's room for them and put screws in the back of the set to hang things off. As Pritch said, you do sometimes have to develop elegantly choreographed scene changes, but generally you can't sort that out until the tech. Set ballet is a time-honoured art!

I would say don't do anything permanent as the less space you have the more you have to be able to adapt it.

Can you fly/suspend large prop or set pieces or even costumes for quick changes above the wings?

Can you get rid of Act I things at the interval and bring in Act II?

If you have a solid set put hooks and small shelves on the back of it.

Clear anything and anyone out of the wings who does not have to be there.

Marking out areas that set will be moved into is useful, otherwise actors have a tendency to stand just where you want to put something. mark it out with tape, show them all the area, and say " please don't stand in this area as we are putting a bed there".

it might not work the first time but after you put a bed onto of them, they may learn.

make sure that stuff is put in the same places everytime, then everyone knows where is goes and where to get it from.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived