Old-fashioned microphone

amdram

I've been asked to make a prop version of the old mics you see in pictures from the early years of radio broadcasting.

I have a mental picture of what they looked like, but can I find an actual picture? Can I heck!

The mic itself was a squarish shape, suspended in the middle of a metal loop by springs or wires. A search for 'old-fashioned microphone' bring up pictures that are close, but not quite right, ie they have a round mic, not oblong.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these - or own one and can take a picture of it for me?

Any help gratefully received,

Andy

The second microphone in Pauls BBC link is easily made. Take a strip of 20mm wide aluminium around 70cm long, bend into a circle, mount on a microphone stand with a 3/8 fitting. Suspend a circular plastic container on 4 elastic bands, I use the ones that decent insulating tape comes in, 90mm diameter and 20mm deep. A bit of spray paint and there you have it. If you want to actually use it , then the earpiece from an old telephone makes a suitable microphone and also sounds reasonably authentic.

Brian

The second picture in Paulears' link is close to what I'm looking for.

I still have this mental picture of an oblong shape, but then if I'm making one from scratch, I can make it any shape I like, can't I? :D

Thanks for the help guys,

Andy

Archived