ZR 33 spiting out oil

leofric

Hi Folks

I have a ZR33 out with me on my current show which keeps on spiting oil and the occasional little puffs of smoke. I just wondered if anyone else might be able to give us any pointers as to how to solve this. The machine delivers the required smoke when activated and we have not tried cleaning it yet . this is our next move.

Ta

Leo

Generally if you see unburnt oil coming out then it's a problem with the heating element, either the element itself or the plumbing through it. First give it a good clean, including (if possible) ensuring the pipes are not clogged with any residue or clumpy bits. If the problem persists it's likely to be a sign that your element is on it's last legs. Most lighting companies will do a reaaonable service of it for you, I've used both stage electrics and white light in previous years and been happy with the result.

I find, depending on how hard it's used, most smokers will need some kind of service of this kind every 4-5 years.

Are you using the right fluid, Jem/Martin specify only their own brand fluid should be used. Spitting is usually caused by the block temperature not matching the fluid being used.

You can clean the heater block out somewhat by running the machine for a few minutes on distilled water (battery top up water). Run it through till the fog output turns into steam then keep going for a bit.

If this does not help I'd ring Jem support, they're usually very helpful.

Archived