Volume Knob Help

Sound In Gloucestershire

Hi, I have an install coming up and we are looking at ideas for the VIP area, the idea the management have is to allow the VIP's to control the volume in the VIP area. So the idea is to have a volume knob installed on the wall. Anyone know of such a product? Ive seen the Cloud Zone mixer knobs on the wall, do they do one that is merely signal in --> signal out. I just want to run a mono signal in and they can attenuate it up or down (in reality I will set 10 to be the max id want it to do, they can turn it down from that point)

So does anyone know of such a product? It sounds ridiculously simple yet I cant seem to find one! Also any recommendations or products to avoid? Or other suggestions?

Many Thanks

The Clound, and the Rane (CP62?) and the Lectrosonics and the Peavey and all the others like this have a wall mounted plate that controls a DC voltage that is interpreted by the zone mixer as a wanted volume level; the Cloud you've seen isn't actually a volume control at all; theres no audio wiring, just a bit of Cat5 usually...

What amplifier and/or zone mixer are you planning for this install? Pick one with off-the-shelf ability to dothis and you're home and dry.

A zoner is a good idea for a VIP area as it means you can also allow them to have a different audio to everyone else giving the management the flexibility for them to have their own DJ,ipod,band or whatever

You could make a unit with a balanced line in and out and a volume control yourself, but I think its better to go with the tried and tested method.

If you want something with visual appeal, then TC Electronic's Level Pilot may be what you want. I've never used it though, only seen it, and can't vouch for 1) how it sounds 2) how well it lasts (although all the reviews seem very positive RE build quality) and 3) if you could mount it on a wall/secure it.

thanks for all the replies so far guys

theres a fair bit of overspill from the main club, so the only sound input will be the same as the main club, this is mainly for infill

The vip area is fairly small, will probably have a couple of 10" or 12" speakers mounted on the wall

Im reluctant to go down the Cloud route, purely down to cost, so this kind of rules out the voltage options. Im likely to be using Powered speakers, so its easy to put a Line level in and out of the volume box before hitting the speakers. I just need to find this box that im imagining! Would I be better off just making one? I was hoping for a smart little box!

I just need to find this box that im imagining! Would I be better off just making one? I was hoping for a smart little box!

Does the item I linked to not do the job? It's just over £100....

Dom

Archived