Martin Audio Blackline Wiring

fatfrog

I am trying to cable up my new rig in such a way to minimize cabling.

Rig consists of 4x S18's & 2x F15's.

I was thinking of wiring it as follows.

Patch panel on back of amp rack:

Bass: 1+ & 1-

Mid/Hi: 2+ & 2-

Both amps would be wired into speakon connector as above, Then 4 core cable runs to first S18, linked out to second s18, and then linked onto the F15.

However the link lead to the F15 would be wired crossover whereby 1+ & 1- is connected to 2+ & 2- on the other end. And as such High frequency which is leaving last sub on 2+ & 2- would be crossed over to 1+ & 1- by last link lead and landing on the top box on 1+ & 1- as it should do.

Any suggestions,

Alan

Hey I run that same system as one of my rigs,

I wired it that way around however I have recently changed it so that the subs are on 2+ and 2- as I used to actually do the crossover inside the sub and just have a port marked in and one marked out therefore not needing to mark specific cables and if you needed to you could run them further apart or in different configs without having to make up a special lead for it.

The reason I have just swapped it so that the subs are on pins 2+ and 2- is that I found it to be more of a standard also I now used 4 core in the entire system and have wired all 4 cores inside the F15's as we run on our small stack 4 x 218's and 4 x F15 which meant we could then link the subs and tops through in any order and it would still work and you can pick any cable out of the case and it wouldnt matter.

Just makes it slightly easy when picking out hire kit that you dont accidently leave the cross over cables off and means that any one with very minimal knowledge can plug the system up.

Cheers Guys, Yeah the F15's are fully passive.

Cable will be clearly marked up alright!

Good call in swapping both ends over...Definitely makes it more idiot proof:)

Now - Second part of question!

Is there anywhere that'll sell me a made up rack panel with my XLR ins & speakon outputs with tails all pre made that doesn't cost the earth?

Alan

If you're struggling to find a rack panel I'll make you one up. Just let me know exactly what it needs and I'll sort a price out for the bits.

However.... more importantly,

DO NOTE, that pins 2+/- on the Blackline boxes (the first ones) are NOT CONNECTED*. So you'll need to get into the back of the cabs and connect them up so this method works. It's a bit of fiddling but very useful and makes cable runs neat and efficient. Some would consider going into the tops first and linking down incase you do gigs where you don't take the subs but its not the end of the world either way, just alter your crossover preset which you'd have to do anyway.

*This is not true of the later Blackline + boxes.

Having the subs pull from pins 2+/- is all well and good until you let someone dry hire them, I use crossover leads with that sort of thing. I always use 4 core ones then I can put them in either way up and it'll still work.

If you're struggling to find a rack panel I'll make you one up. Just let me know exactly what it needs and I'll sort a price out for the bits.

However.... more importantly,

DO NOTE, that pins 2+/- on the Blackline boxes (the first ones) are NOT CONNECTED*. So you'll need to get into the back of the cabs and connect them up so this method works. It's a bit of fiddling but very useful and makes cable runs neat and efficient. Some would consider going into the tops first and linking down incase you do gigs where you don't take the subs but its not the end of the world either way, just alter your crossover preset which you'd have to do anyway.

*This is not true of the later Blackline + boxes.

Having the subs pull from pins 2+/- is all well and good until you let someone dry hire them, I use crossover leads with that sort of thing. I always use 4 core ones then I can put them in either way up and it'll still work.

Thanks Rob, Once again some very important information without which I could have been left wondering what was wrong with my cabling ;)

Don't have the boxes here beside me to examine them but I presume It's just a matter of getting some 2.5mm cable & Faston Tabs and making up small jumpers and plugging them between the 2 speakon connectors?

Thanks for the offer of making up my patch panel, I'll get back to you via PM if I have any problems sourcing one.

Regards,

Alan

Archived