Electroluminescent wire

Bentley89

I need a bit of a push in the right direction here, Set designer for a current production I'm working on has requested that parts of the set are light with EL Wire (or Glow wire). Can this stuff be controlled by a dimmer transformed down to the right voltage (and does anyone know what voltage these things need accross them??). Anyone got any experience with this stuff, and know how it would behave under a dimmer?

Cheers all!

I need a bit of a push in the right direction here, Set designer for a current production I'm working on has requested that parts of the set are light with EL Wire (or Glow wire). Can this stuff be controlled by a dimmer transformed down to the right voltage (and does anyone know what voltage these things need accross them??). Anyone got any experience with this stuff, and know how it would behave under a dimmer?

Cheers all!

EL wire requires a high frequency AC source (which is usually generated by high efficiency solid state oscillators), usually about 1000hz or so. It can be dimmed by changing the voltage, but due to the solid state nature of the oscillator, you'd need to dim it post power supply probably with a variable resistor of some description.

I need a bit of a push in the right direction here, Set designer for a current production I'm working on has requested that parts of the set are light with EL Wire (or Glow wire). Can this stuff be controlled by a dimmer transformed down to the right voltage (and does anyone know what voltage these things need accross them??). Anyone got any experience with this stuff, and know how it would behave under a dimmer? Cheers all!

Talk to these people, they are very helpful, have DMX controllers for hire & will even send you samples.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I need a bit of a push in the right direction here, Set designer for a current production I'm working on has requested that parts of the set are light with EL Wire (or Glow wire). Can this stuff be controlled by a dimmer transformed down to the right voltage (and does anyone know what voltage these things need accross them??). Anyone got any experience with this stuff, and know how it would behave under a dimmer? Cheers all!
Talk to these people, they are very helpful, have DMX controllers for hire & will even send you samples.

These people http://www.surelight.com/

Archived