Plasma? LCD? what make and size?

Impact Pete

Part of an install I'm working on requires a screen at FOH position so that people on stage can read words etc.

I'm thinking 32" LCD but any recommendations and comments are welcome, Plasma? LCD? size big enough etc?

The distance is approx 18m.

Also at times it would be good to put up a realtime clock, seperate to the main stage screens, any ideas how this could be done cost effectively?

I've done a couple of shows where we have used a 40" LCD for an of stage conductor.

Think your 32" is very optimistic and our screen was a lot closer than 18m.

Plasma/LCD not sure it makes a huge difference especially if if get a half decent screen.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Paul

I'd go with at least 42" or preferably 50" and definately LCD! With Plasmas you will get screen burn if you have the same content on the monitor for a prolonged period of time (for example the barrier behind the MD!).

With regards to the realtime clock are you thinking of an LCD display clock? What would it's purpose be etc?

If you want a quote on the LCD screens and brackets etc give me a shout!

Dan

Thanks for all the replies, I guess size depends on how large the words are on screen, it does not need to have a wide viewing area as from 18m it would only need to be seen from centre of stage.

I think you right about the 32" being to small.

The real time clock is yes to display the actual time, so people on stage can see what time they need to get off! But it would need to run at times seperately from the main projectors, ie you don't see the time from audience only from stage, but occassionally the person on stage would need to see what the audience does.

All Av run off computer

Any quotes welcome send to peter@impactcls.co.uk (am I allowed to ask this through the forum?)

42" and above would probably be best. Plasma would probably be fine, as I'd imagine that the content is likely to change enought to not be a huge problem.

With regards to giving an alternative signal, then get a crash switch and second laptop. DA the feed to the projector and feed this to the switch, bring in the laptop feed then you can change the feed to the panel easily. The stage will see the ugly bump as it switches across, but they should be ok with that.

...definately LCD! With Plasmas you will get screen burn if you have the same content on the monitor for a prolonged period of time (for example the barrier behind the MD!).
You will actually get screen burn with both LCD and Plasma. It can be removed (Jscreenburn is one free tool), but that doesn't always work.

Plasma screens are still prone to screenburn even if the content is changing. I have one 50" plasma with screenburn even though the image is changing. The problem is that the content is repeating regularly and has high contrast images.

LCD screens do not get screenburn, but can suffer from the much less permanent/serious Image persistance.

LCD screens are available in most sizes, but start to get expensive above about 50"

Plasma screens are available in sizes 42" and above.

If you want a 32" you will be limited to LCD (or LED backlit which is nice but overpriced)

If you need a price, msg me with type, size and any other requirements.

cheers

DJ

EDIT - removed typo

If by "real time clock" you mean an on-screen one, my Presentation Timer software may help. It runs on a PC and can be overlaid onto other programs. This assumes you have a PC and suitable monitor to use it with of course.

Hi thanks for that this seems to be the type of thing, am I being thick or is it possible to display actual time so people on stage can see if it's cuppa tea time!?

If by "real time clock" you mean an on-screen one, my Presentation Timer software may help. It runs on a PC and can be overlaid onto other programs. This assumes you have a PC and suitable monitor to use it with of course.

Hi thanks for that this seems to be the type of thing, am I being thick or is it possible to display actual time so people on stage can see if it's cuppa tea time!?

It has count up/down modes as well as just displaying the actual PC time. (ie a clock)

Archived